Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > Perfect Team

Perfect Team Perfect Team 2.0 - The online revolution continues! Battle thousands of PT managers from all over the world and become a legend.

Old 11-08-2019, 11:35 PM   #21
neugey
All Star Reserve

This question popped in my head when I was watching football tonight - what happens for the non-Quick tournaments that don't fill up before their designated start time? Are they filled with ghost entries to become complete, or do they start w/ less teams then intended, or do they become defunct if they don't have enough membership?

PBA - Cincinnati Reds
MLM - Baltimore Orioles
neugey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 12:00 AM   #22
Rich Grisham
Biz Dev

Quote:
Originally Posted by neugey View Post
This question popped in my head when I was watching football tonight - what happens for the non-Quick tournaments that don't fill up before their designated start time? Are they filled with ghost entries to become complete, or do they start w/ less teams then intended, or do they become defunct if they don't have enough membership?
Good question; I'll get the answer because I don't actually know yet.
Old 11-09-2019, 12:17 AM   #23
bailey
Hall Of Famer

I assume a random assortment of teams would get a first round bye
bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 03:04 AM   #24
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by neugey View Post
We push these back by an hour (or more) to give more time to sign up. Hopefully this won't happen often
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 03:41 AM   #25
Dogberry99
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
We push these back by an hour (or more) to give more time to sign up. Hopefully this won't happen often
I could see it happening more and more often after many players move on to OOTP21.

Which raises the question... Will tournaments keep the same general schedule for their life cycle as Perfect Team?

Primary Team

Collection Rewards (Cards & Packs) F2P Theme Team

Movers F2P Theme and Adam Schlesinger Memorial Team
Dogberry99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 10:03 AM   #26
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

I have a thought.

(pauses as everybody takes cover)

I thought of era-specific tournaments - say, a 1950s tournament, only cards from 1950-1959 allowed, but you could also do f.e. an interwar tournament from 1919-1941 and countless others - that might also be capped (f.e. gold cards or below) where the top finishers are rewarded in special packs; those packs would only contain cards from the era the tournament was played in, so 1950-1959 or 1919-1941 in the prior examples.

These packs might have a slightly skewed content distribution towards higher-value cards, or maybe not; but they would of course only contain historical cards, also meaning that all perfect and diamond cards popped would be potentially extremely valuable.

I realize that there's probably a lot of work to do with the pack content generation algorithm to pull this off. but that would be one way to combat card shortages on the market, too.

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Westheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 10:34 AM   #27
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

Maybe they have data that more players are active than it seems, but you can't spread out the player base too much. Make way too many different formats and they fill very slowly.

It also is going to magnify the obvious problem with the regular league structure. If I am in perfect leagues but want to train up some bronze players to play different positions in the bronze tournaments then I have no other place to do it and have to tank the league for a season. Next year needs to have dynamic level assignment based on your team strength.
dkgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 10:41 AM   #28
stl jason
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkgo View Post
Maybe they have data that more players are active than it seems, but you can't spread out the player base too much. Make way too many different formats and they fill very slowly.

It also is going to magnify the obvious problem with the regular league structure. If I am in perfect leagues but want to train up some bronze players to play different positions in the bronze tournaments then I have no other place to do it and have to tank the league for a season. Next year needs to have dynamic level assignment based on your team strength.

I wouldn't call it tanking per se if you do it in small increments.... I brought up two bronze cards at a time (one IF, one OF) while in the Perfect tier to train them up for tourney use.... they actually outperformed a bunch of my regular gold/diamond cards and didn't tank the season for the team as a whole....

takes a little longer to do it two players at time obviously, but it can be done
stl jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 10:58 AM   #29
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

Seems like that speaks more to your current gold/diamond player selection

I dunno. At least for me the regular leagues just seem to be something going on in the background now. But if I was trying to compete in perfect though I would rather be a lot worse in one season then just get back there instead of a little worse in multiple seasons.
Old 11-09-2019, 11:00 AM   #30
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

I will say I had fun building a silver and bronze lineup this week. Next season I'm looking forward to throwing my all silver team out there and training guys up.
Old 11-09-2019, 11:36 AM   #31
Cobbiusto
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westheim View Post
I thought of era-specific tournaments - say, a 1950s tournament, only cards from 1950-1959 allowed, but you could also do f.e. an interwar tournament from 1919-1941 and countless others - that might also be capped (f.e. gold cards or below) where the top finishers are rewarded in special packs; those packs would only contain cards from the era the tournament was played in, so 1950-1959 or 1919-1941 in the prior examples.
I had also hoped there would be tournaments where the entire roster had to come from one major league team. There might be more problems with filtering by team than card type or level of card maybe. But with so many more tournament options than I thought would be possible, I guess I ought to be satisfied.

Tigers only

Featuring stars from the 60s, 70s, & 80s
Cobbiusto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 10:44 AM   #32
daves
Hall Of Famer

1625/65 Cap? I guess I like a better explanation of this Cap or various caps?

Also, for the non-live cap, can I move my live players to the reserve roster to qualify? I cannot get rid of some cards due to the collectons.

daves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 11:03 AM   #33
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by daves View Post
1625/65 Cap? I guess I like a better explanation of this Cap or various caps?

Also, for the non-live cap, can I move my live players to the reserve roster to qualify? I cannot get rid of some cards due to the collectons.
There will be tournaments at all variety of cap levels.

And tournament roster are entirely separate from your regular roster, so it's possible and likely that from one tournament to another you have a completely different 25-man roster, and those can all be completely separate from your main roster. The cards do not need to be on your main active or reserve list - anything in your collection can be used in a tournament if the card is eligible based on tier and type.
Matt Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 12:41 PM   #34
UltimateAverageGuy
All Star Reserve

This game is going to a completely different level in 24 hours; I'm REALLY excited.
UltimateAverageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 01:28 PM   #35
bailey
Hall Of Famer

Has there been any marketing effort directed towards owners of inactive teams? Now may be a good time to remind them that some of them probably have 100K worth of points stockpiled. Auto-entering into tournaments some inactive teams might help some tournaments fill faster and offer these inactive teams more chances to accrue points or packs for marketing purposes.
bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 02:54 PM   #36
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

Surely there can be a way to build and save different squads to get ready. Right now all I can do is put a bunch of players on the reserve list and try to remember what team I want to use them on and who I still need to add.
Old 11-10-2019, 04:29 PM   #37
Rich Grisham
Biz Dev

Quote:
Originally Posted by micpringle View Post
Will the HTML reports be published after each simulation like in PT?
If you're referring to the ability to open the box scores and such in your browser, yes.
Old 11-10-2019, 05:25 PM   #38
micpringle
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Grisham View Post
If you're referring to the ability to open the box scores and such in your browser, yes.
It was this kind of report I was referring to. Especially for tournaments that span multiple days.

micpringle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 05:59 PM   #39
waittilnextyear
All Star Starter

One thing that might be a nice addition is giving a team the option of having a "taxi squad." That "taxi squad" could go compete in the entry pool/Iron level; it would not accrue any PP and would be ineligible for promotion, but it would be a good way to allow teams to train up their lower-rated players at different positions for tournament usage. Options for doing so now are pretty limited without resorting to tanking or severely handicapping a competitive team at higher ranks.

waittilnextyear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 08:51 PM   #40
neugey
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkgo View Post
Surely there can be a way to build and save different squads to get ready. Right now all I can do is put a bunch of players on the reserve list and try to remember what team I want to use them on and who I still need to add.

Because I am such a dork, and because I'll have less time to construct teams tomorrow, I've put together two salary cap squads in Excel. Might work on a third tonight. Salary cap is going to be so interesting - everyone is going to be forced to play some real scrub cards.

PBA - Cincinnati Reds
MLM - Baltimore Orioles
neugey is offline   Reply With Quote