Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > Perfect Team

Perfect Team Perfect Team 2.0 - The online revolution continues! Battle thousands of PT managers from all over the world and become a legend.

Old 08-16-2019, 07:27 PM   #1
mcdog512
Hall Of Famer

Location: Pack Robert Gibson; November 9, 1935 – October 2, 2020
Rutschman - why the mania?

This card is good, no question but 300k? Please educate me on the benefits of spending 230k more on this card over say Johnny Bench.....
Attached Images
Image Image 

mcdog512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 07:34 PM   #2
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Obviously, he is the best catcher in the history of the game, with the possible exception of Josh Gibson. He is obviously better than Mickey Cochrane, Bench, or some nobody like Yogi Berra. Just look at everything this man has accomplished. It should be readily apparent by just looking at his Baseball Reference page. But if that's not enough, read what Bill James has to say about him or watch his many YouTube highlights.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 07:36 PM   #3
mcdog512
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcin View Post
Obviously, he is the best catcher in the history of the game, with the possible exception of Josh Gibson. He is obviously better than Mickey Cochrane, Bench, or some nobody like Yogi Berra. Just look at everything this man has accomplished. It should be readily apparent by just looking at his Baseball Reference page. But if that's not enough, read what Bill James has to say about him or watch his many YouTube highlights.

LOL - hatred of future stars duly noted Orcin.

Yea, it is pretty crazy.

Old 08-16-2019, 08:03 PM   #4
gemini615
All Star Reserve

I heard he saved some kittens from a tree in between the 4th and 5th innings without taking off his catcher gear.
Then he led off the 5th by calling his shot to center.
gemini615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 08:05 PM   #5
mcdog512
Hall Of Famer

Somebody on This week in Perfect Team chat said something about how great the card was.....I guess I'm not seeing it as elite. If I was a FTP player I'd be ecstatic to pull it but if I'm a pay perfect league player he's not top rate.

Old 08-16-2019, 08:17 PM   #6
old timer
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdog512 View Post
This card is good, no question but 300k? Please educate me on the benefits of spending 230k more on this card over say Johnny Bench.....

Maybe some people just want to have someone new (or a card that's less common) on their team? Isn't that card a fairly recent addition to PT?

On a few occasions in both PT19 and PT20, I've chosen a card that I believed was inferior to another and paid nearly the same or more than the better card simply because I was tired of seeing that other card. Of course, I didn't pay that much more like in your example, but if I had the money to spend like that, I'd consider doing that.

Last edited by old timer; 08-16-2019 at 08:18 PM.
old timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 08:47 PM   #7
waittilnextyear
All Star Starter

All jokes aside, I would prefer the Rutschman card because he's a switch hitter (meaning the opponent is unable to get a platoon advantage on him) and has significantly higher CON than Bench. I don't know that I'd pay 300K for it, but I would pay more than for Bench if I was considering all non-Josh Gibson catchers in the game.

waittilnextyear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 09:12 PM   #8
chazzycat
All Star Starter

future legend or no, 20 points of contact is 20 points of contact.
chazzycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 09:51 PM   #9
mcdog512
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazzycat View Post
future legend or no, 20 points of contact is 20 points of contact.

Not quite sure that's worth 230k plus worse defense.

Old 08-16-2019, 10:18 PM   #10
bailey
Hall Of Famer

The first of almost any new card goes for an outrageous price to set the market. It would be nice to know who is doing this. Subsequent sellers usually have a tough time getting that price. How does this card compare to Josh Gibson who routinely goes for 300K (although lately I've seen a few Gibson's go unsold at that price). Better defense, but much weaker bat and against LHP even Campanella is better at 1/5 of the price. That's a lot for a few points of defense (compared to Gibson and Campanella).

bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 10:33 PM   #11
chazzycat
All Star Starter

Yeah dunno about the price...I have never spent anything close to that for a single card. But the card has some merits, and if I was a whale, I think I'd prefer that over Bench by a solid margin.

Some inflation is also due to being new and rare, I'm sure.
chazzycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 10:39 PM   #12
Nero
Minors (Triple A)

Asking for, and getting are two different things....I kind of wonder how many are being sold at that price.

It's a great card, but for me I have a harder time justifying the price since an "every game" starting catcher is only going to catch 110-115 games, far less than a starter at any other position player who plays against both right handers and lefty's.

For multiple seasons I ran a platoon of Yadier Molina and Pudge Rodriguez, and just had to accept that I was going to be limited offensively. I didn't want to invest into the Yogi Berra range (saw he is going 175-225 instead of sub 100k). Mid season I bought 91 Bill Dickey, figuring that most games the reserve plays are still going to be against RHP's. Dickey's been hitting just over .365 (125 AB's, so small sample size) and a long hot streak has helped. That said, I'll take him over Berra for the price difference, and work to upgrade Molina, reason I bring it up, is that I think I'll get a viable return for a much cheaper price than Rutschman.

If he was an everyday catcher, and got 130 starts I'd see him being viable in the 175k-200k area, and that's still more than I'd want to spend.

Just my line of thinking....be interesting to see some results with him over a few seasons, and see what kind of actual impact he has.

Last edited by Nero; 08-16-2019 at 10:41 PM.
Nero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 12:12 AM   #13
Dogberry99
All Star Starter

Why are we surprised this card is going for so much? New cards always command a lot more upo introduction. Their price will eventually settle to more sustainable levels once the supply (which hasn't had months of gameplay to accumulate like other cards) eventually catches up to the demand. Even a crap low bronze like Expos "legend" Warren Cromartie was going for ~2k for quite a while before finally dropping to more around the 500 point range, where it has been lately, which is still WAY too much.

Primary Team

Collection Rewards (Cards & Packs) F2P Theme Team

Movers F2P Theme and Adam Schlesinger Memorial Team
Dogberry99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 12:39 AM   #14
yno88
Minors (Double A)

To go along with what Orcin was saying he's way better than Gary Carter, Yadier Molina, Darrell Porter, Ivan Rodriguez, Roy Campanella, Ted Simmons, Sherman Lollar, Mike Piazza, Thurman Munson, Mike Scioscia, Yogi Berra, Benny Santiago, Manny Sanguillen.....

So many people are playing the future Vladito right now. Because his live card came down to earth but the future card is pure fantasy.

Future stars, POTM, and other cards that are based on small sample size or pure speculation should not be better than the best to have played the game.

The Rutschman card should be an 80 maybe? His defense of 88 is the most offensive thing to me. But you can't sell him for 300k if he's an 80.

Last edited by yno88; 08-17-2019 at 12:46 AM.
yno88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 01:25 AM   #15
Badnewsgoonies
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I've somehow pulled two of him already. Wasn't the first, he was already up on auction for 500k (1mil buy now). Which ofc was a shot in the dark that someone would buy him. Anyways I posted mine at 350k (475k buy now) also just a shot in the dark.

Eventually I lowered to a more reasonable 275k (380k buy now) but I'm assuming it was the first guy posted his to something like 300k (350k buy now) and rekt me because his sold at buy now. I had just one bid and mine sold for 275k.

Did end up with another one which was just ridiculous and I actually wanted to keep him but I was worried the price would decrease too much (like with player of the month Bellinger) so I sold him asap at like 288k?
Old 08-17-2019, 01:44 AM   #16
DonkeyKongSr
All Star Reserve

If you guys stop being Old Men Yelling at Clouds for a moment and look at the card on it's own merits, you would see that the Adley card is:

- The #1 switch-hitting catcher in the game by a huge margin
- A top 5-7 hitting catcher vL
- A top 5-7 hitting catcher vR
- Better defensively than nearly all the top hitting catcher cards

So, when the clear best hitting catcher in the game goes for over 300K, then the new card that is probably the 2nd best catcher (he doesn't need a platoon on the elite teams like other top non-Gibson catchers and gets the handedness advantage every at-bat), 300K in the first month of its existence makes a ton of sense.

Last edited by DonkeyKongSr; 08-17-2019 at 01:45 AM.
DonkeyKongSr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 09:53 AM   #17
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

For 300k, I would much rather have my platoon of 92 McCarver and 92 Molina plus Tim Keefe or perfect Roger.
Old 08-17-2019, 05:53 PM   #18
ubernoob
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcin View Post
For 300k, I would much rather have my platoon of 92 McCarver and 92 Molina plus Tim Keefe or perfect Roger.
Except that's not how the market works for cards like this or Josh Gibson.

Those cards are bought when you have a great team already. It's a whale card. If you're not a whale working on building your perfect team, of course it makes sense to 100% spend that money on making the rest of your team better.

What happens when the rest of your team is better and you want a catcher? You pretty much have Josh Gibson, and now this.
Old 08-17-2019, 07:24 PM   #19
mcdog512
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonkeyKongSr View Post
If you guys stop being Old Men Yelling at Clouds for a moment and look at the card on it's own merits, you would see that the Adley card is:

- The #1 switch-hitting catcher in the game by a huge margin
- A top 5-7 hitting catcher vL
- A top 5-7 hitting catcher vR
- Better defensively than nearly all the top hitting catcher cards

So, when the clear best hitting catcher in the game goes for over 300K, then the new card that is probably the 2nd best catcher (he doesn't need a platoon on the elite teams like other top non-Gibson catchers and gets the handedness advantage every at-bat), 300K in the first month of its existence makes a ton of sense.

I'm not shouting at clouds although I am old. Just wait buddy, time will fly by and you'll wonder what the heck happened. Trust me on this.

I agree switch hitter is a big plus and I admit I platoon Johnny Bench but that is a ton of PP and I'm not seeing the return for so high a cost.

Old 08-18-2019, 09:37 AM   #20
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubernoob View Post
Except that's not how the market works for cards like this or Josh Gibson.

Those cards are bought when you have a great team already. It's a whale card. If you're not a whale working on building your perfect team, of course it makes sense to 100% spend that money on making the rest of your team better.

What happens when the rest of your team is better and you want a catcher? You pretty much have Josh Gibson, and now this.
This is how it works when your team is worth more than 10 million points. Otherwise, I still think I am right.