View Single Post
Old 07-11-2016, 09:57 PM   #342
Cinnamon J. Scudworth
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUColonel View Post
The problem with trading is I am now (to me) is I feel I am fleecing the AI on very hard. All you have t do, is target the player you want and..

1. Offer what you feel is your best player or two.
2. The AI will usually refuse, but if it accepts, remove one of the players (if you included two)
3. The AI at this point is refusing your offer...so hit the make this work now button
4. Now you will likely have a shortlist of players the a is interested in...remove your original best player from the trade, and include the best player from the shortlist the AI gave you.
5. Now hit the make this trade work again, you now have another shortlist of players. Take the best from this list and include it, while removing the best from the first shortlist

Rinse repeat until you find a combination you and your asst GM like...you will noticed you have likely just killed the very hard AI in a trade negotiation

This leads me to question whether or not the "take this trade work" function is the best way of going about things. I think I'd much rather see AI teams actually have untouchable players, and also offer counter offers (if it's even willing to entertain a trade) the current system is starting to feel gamey to me somehow.
If you approach trade negotiations as a baseball exercise (i.e. evaluate you and your negotiation partners' goals, gaps, and surplus talent) and less like a slot machine to mix and match combos that probably would never even be proposed in real life, it will feel a lot less 'gamey.'
"Sometimes, this is like going to a grocery store. You’ve got a list until you get to the check-out stand. And then you start reading People magazine, and all this other [stuff] ends up in the basket."

-Sandy Alderson on the MLB offseason
Cinnamon J. Scudworth is offline   Reply With Quote