View Single Post
Old 09-04-2019, 12:19 AM   #72
The_Myth
Minors (Double A)

Jan. 1, 1985

Welcome to 1985. First deal of the new year: Dan Quisenberry runs it back with the Royals for two years and $862K. Not as much as he wanted, I’d bet, but I just can’t see much more success with those pitches (50/30/25/30). But he knows KC, so it makes sense that Kansas City brings him back.

Jan. 2, 1985

Scouring the free agent ranks, and I’m not high on anyone else. Ruppert Jones? Nah. Gene Garber? I want to give some kids a chance in my bullpen.

Jan. 3, 1985

Oh geez. Chuck Rainey of the Cubs lost his dog Eddie. He just ran off into the country, chasing after another pooch. Big story considering there’s nothing else happening in the league. I hope Eddie comes back OK.

Also, the Astros are still trying to trade us Craig Reynolds. Stop it.

Jan. 4, 1985

Milt May update: looking good. Great. Somebody sign a contract.

Meanwhile, the Mets trade 3B Jon Jaha and 2B Brian Giles to San Francisco for C Bob Brenly, as the Giant rebuild continues. Brenly is one of the better backstops in the game, boosting the Mets offense.

Jan. 5, 1985

More moves: Detroit signs RP Tom Burgmeier to a one-year, $640K deal. Imagine, Burgmeier getting more per season than Dan Quisenberry.

And 1B Andre Thornton gets one year and $386K from Boston.

Jan. 6, 1985

OK: Milt May is on board. And Pete Falcone is in good spirits and may decide soon.

Finally, Atlanta gets Manny Trillo from the Giants, while 1B Wayne Harrison and RP Jeff Dedmon head to San Francisco.

Considering all the moves by the Giants, I ask about some of the their top players (Jack Clark, Chili Davis, Mike Krukow), but they want too much from me. No thanks.

Jan. 7, 1985

Nothing new. Sometimes these days happen.

Jan. 8, 1985

Now Billy Sample says he’s happy with our offer. Great. What about UL Washington?

Jan. 9, 1985

Quiet days at the office.

Jan. 10, 1985

Tons of first basemen out there right now. I don’t need one, but maybe I should inquire? Nah.

Jan. 11, 1985

One 1B is gone: 37-year-old Cliff Johnson signs a three-year, $3.24M deal with Cleveland. Yuck. What are the Indians doing?

Jan. 12, 1985

The Tigers continue to add, getting RP Gene Garber for two years and $926K.

And a Missouri trade: The Cardinals move 2B Terry Pendleton and RP Bruce Sutter to Kansas City for 1B Steve Balboni and 3B Luis de los Santos. Weird trade, but I suppose it’s a strength-for-strength deal. Plus the Royals probably needed to move Balboni after acquiring Juan Beniquez.

Jan. 13, 1985

And here we go: UL Washington’s agent calls and says we’re all set.

SIGNED

UL Washington - SS/3B/2B - 1 year + 1986 team option, $590,000

I’m locked in on the major league roster, I think. The 40-man roster is at 39, and I added 7.1 WAR in the offseason, third in baseball to Baltimore and Detroit. I feel good about being competitive in 1985.
The_Myth is offline   Reply With Quote