View Single Post
Old 09-01-2019, 05:03 PM   #71
The_Myth
Minors (Double A)

Dec. 27, 1984

Wow. Juan Beniquez’s agent calls to say he won’t be signing with us. Instead, he goes with the Royals for two years and $1.6M (including a team option in year two). That’s a worse deal than we offered. But Kansas City is going to let him play first base - maybe he just wanted that? Man.

Other moves: SP Doyle Alexander gets two years and $1.64M with Baltimore; SP Juan Berenguer (our backup after Sanderson) gets $840K over one year with Montreal (that’s a lot of cash); the Cardinals sign RP Warren Brusstar to a one-year, $450K pact; Tim Stoddard (our backup plan for Moore) goes to the Expos for two years and $808K; and last but certainly not least, Nolan Ryan is going to … California. He’ll return to the Angels on a two-year, $1.76M contract. Honestly, not bad by the Angels.

But now we’re pondering whether we should go after anyone else. We look at Gary Ward (49/49), who can play left and right field and has 60 contact and 55 speed. Our kind of guy. But he also wants a five-year deal. Uh, nope.

Then we check out Billy Sample, a 43/43 who plays left and right, has 55 speed, and puts the ball in play. He only wants a minor league deal with a promote-within-30-day guarantee. I love it. I’m in.

LF/RF/CF Billy Sample - Minor league contract with $275K guarantee if promoted within 30 days (considering)

Dec. 28, 1984

I offer a minor league contract to Don Fowler, a 28-year-old pitcher with pretty mediocre stuff (35/35/35), but he’s a live arm. Plus, we apparently drafted him back in 1975. Why not take a chance on him again?

Dec. 29, 1984

We also offer a minor league deal to catcher Milt May, who’s 34 and can provide depth in the high minors.

Dec. 30, 1984

UL Washington’s agent tells us we’re in the lead. Can’t have a Juan Beniquez thing happen here.

Dec. 31, 1984

Welp, Don Fowler signs a minor league contract with San Diego. I’m hoping he thinks he has a better chance of making the major league club there. That’s my hope. That’s it.

I decide, then, to offer a contract to Pete Falcone, but this time with a possible guarantee of $150K. He’s the most garden-variety pitcher there is (40/45/40 with three pitches that are 40/45/40).
The_Myth is offline   Reply With Quote