View Single Post
Old 08-28-2019, 09:45 PM   #67
The_Myth
Minors (Double A)

Dec. 14, 1984

RP Don Aase goes to the Astros for three years and $1.332M. Feeling good about our Donnie Moore offer. And SP Mike LaCoss signs up with the Yankees for three years and $2 million. Wow.

At 11 a.m. we have the Paul Molitor press conference. First question is if I’m sure that Mike Schmidt is cool with moving to first base, and I say you’d have to ask him, but as a team we just want to win. From there, Molitor says all the right things about having the opportunity to win a championship and having faith in the organization. High confidence levels around the office.

Dec. 15, 1984

Donnie Moore’s agent checks in, telling us things are looking good. That sounds good here.

Dec. 16, 1984

The Eagles season ends with a thud at 6-9-1. I check in with Juan Beniquez’s camp, and he still wants a deal of about $1.7M over two years (one guaranteed). Would like to bring that down, and we’re still uncertain about him.

Dec. 17, 1984

Danny Darwin signs with the Dodgers for two years and $944K. He was our back-up plan for Scott Sanderson. Now we have to nail it on Sanderson, and maybe look at another back-up plan.

Meanwhile, big staff meeting. We decide to make an offer to Juan Beniquez, believing he won’t hamstring our ability to develop players like Jeff Stone; plus, we’re a little worried about Dave Stegman. We need insurance.

Also, we talk about getting backup plans for starting pitcher and relief pitcher. At starter we dig Juan Berenguer (48/48), who walks a bit too many (4 BB/9 last season) but keeps the ball in the yard. And at reliever we like Tim Stoddard (51/51), who put up a 6.09 ERA last season in Baltimore, but had a 7.8 K/9.

We also address the Mike Schmidt-to-first-base talk, and decide we have to keep our focus on winning, and especially by 1987. If we sell this move as a long-term good move for all involved, leading to another title, we think we can navigate the obstacles. We anticipate at least one.

Then I chat with Beniquez’s agent, who is steadfast on two years, though the second can be an option year. While I try for one year, I agree two is fine. I offer year one at $833K and year two at $913K, after the option. We add on a bonus for plate appearances (550), which basically says “If we can’t find better options, you get more.”

1B/3B/LF/CF/RF Juan Beniquez - 2Y/$1.746M including team option (considering)

Berenguer’s agent says the Expos have offered a contract, so we’re in a little bit of a pickle. If we offer Berenguer a contract and he accepts before Sanderson, we’re going to have to pull back on Sanderson or try to make a quick trade, but we’ll get less value for sure. I decide to hold off on an offer.

And speaking of the Expos, they also have an offer in for Stoddard. Same idea, really. We decide to hold off here, too. But we’ve offered a lot to Moore; if he comes back with another request, maybe we’ll pivot.

Also in the meeting we talked about the Rule 5 Draft, which is just three days away. We have just 30 on our 40-man roster, so we need to come up with a list of 10 players we’d like to protect in advance. We may not protect all of them, but this is a start.

Dec. 18, 1984

Today we finalize our list of 10 prospects we may protect:
  • C Mike LaValliere - AA
  • LF/CF Bruce Fields - AAA
  • SP Steve Witt - AA
  • RP Rich Gaynor - AAA
  • 1B Francisco Melendez - AA
  • 1B/2B/3B/SS Steve Kiefer - AAA
  • LF Jim Olander - AA
  • LF/CF Randy Salava - AAA
  • 1B Al Leboeuf - AA
  • SP Steve Fireovid - AAA

The first six are about right. We’ll see what happens in the next few days, but I want to keep a few 40-man spots open, obviously. At least three.

Dec. 19, 1984

The first of the veteran pitchers signs, as 39-year-old Don Sutton locks in on three years and $2.45 million with Toronto, who I imagine will want to add one more starter. Nolan Ryan is still out there …

And Houston proposes a trade: SS Craig Reynolds for 1B Len Matuszek and RF Willie Darkis. Reynolds has been dangled to me a lot, and I’m honestly intrigued. He isn’t a great hitter (224 PA, .246/.275/.299, 6 XBH) and lacks speed (40), but he’s an outstanding defender (70 everything) and is a free agent after 1985. Compared to UL Washington, he might be a slightly better choice. Then again, Washington has speed, and his defense isn’t much worse. But we’re offering Washington more money than what Reynolds is making.

Also, we don’t need Matuszek. In fact, there’s really nowhere to put him. So this makes sense.

But what do we need, more defense at shortstop or more speed? Reynolds will play unreal defense there, making up for Juan Samuel’s issues, but he’ll also steal just a few bags, while Washington could steal 20-30. That said, Washington’s defense is suspect even when he’s rated highly (he committed a pretty high 36 errors at short in 1983).

After much discussion, we decide Washington will age a little better, and his error bar isn’t as wide as Reynolds’ for 1985. We decide not to do the trade. But we shop Matuszek around.

And the best bite I get is Bill Lyons of St. Louis. He’s a 33/35, but plays every infield position well enough to fill in, along with center field. He’s also a 70 speed, 75 stealing, and 70 baserunning. The kind of utility knife I’d love to have on the team. And at this point he would really fill out the (likely) bench:

Tommy Thompson - C
Bill Lyons - 1B/3B/CF/2B/SS
Steve Jeltz - 2B/SS
Mike Diaz - C/1B/LF/RF/3B
Jeff Stone - LF/CF
Joe Lefebvre - LF/RF/3B

If we add Beniquez, that probably spells doom for Lefebvre, but it’s also possible Jeltz starts 1985 in AAA.

Anyway, we ask for Lyons and RP Joe Boever (24/37), who’s 24 already and only maxing out in A-ball. But he seems better than that, carrying a 60 changeup and 45 fastball and slider. He should start 1985 in AA. It’s a done deal, and it's done very quickly.

TRADE

To St. Louis Cardinals

1B Len Matuszek

To Philadelphia Phillies

1B/3B/CF/2B/SS Bill Lyons
RP Joe Boever
$30,000 cash

Finally, we protect those six players we agreed on protecting ahead of the Rule 5 Draft.
  • C Mike LaValliere added to 40-man roster
  • LF/CF Bruce Fields added to 40-man roster
  • SP Steve Witt added to 40-man roster
  • RP Rich Gaynor added to 40-man roster
  • 1B Francisco Melendez added to 40-man roster
  • 1B/2B/3B/SS Steve Kiefer added to 40-man roster
The_Myth is offline   Reply With Quote