View Single Post
Old 08-22-2019, 11:22 PM   #61
The_Myth
Minors (Double A)

Nov. 29, 1984

The coaching staffs in our minor league system are almost nearly set. Spending the next few days arranging meetings with new hires and checking in with agents. Not expecting a ton of work right now, as the post-meetings slump sets in.

Nov. 30, 1984

The Cubs send C Don Werner to Texas for prospects Bob Gergen and Barry Jones. I looked briefly at Werner as a potential trade target in the Russell talks, but ultimately his short-term contract (a free agent after 1985) stopped me.

Dec. 1, 1984

Our farm system is now ranked 10th in baseball thanks to the Assenmacher acquisition, as he’s the No. 81 prospect, per Baseball America. Also, I check in with Juan Beniquez, who now wants around $890K per season over one and an option. I’m thinking about it.

Dec. 2, 1984

Draft-pick signing deadline day, and we’re all set there. Meanwhile, Ken Landreaux went for a year and $370K, while Bo Diaz is going to Pittsburgh for two years and $624K.

Dec. 3, 1984

Peninsula has a pitching coach, and our staffs are all set for 1985. Great.

Meanwhile, the Royals failed to sign first-round draft pick Chad Kreuter, and Philly’s John Marzano didn’t sign with Boston.

Dec. 4, 1984

Vacation time. Listening to that Cars album Heartbeat City. Good stuff.

Dec. 5, 1984

Vacation time.

Dec. 6, 1984

Still out. The Cardinals sign RP Bob Shirley to a two-year, $656K pact.

Dec. 7, 1984

More beach time.

Dec. 8, 1984

Last day of vacation. The Royals get LF Mike Easler for two years and $1.28M.

Dec. 9, 1984

I’m back in Philly to find out the Cardinals have signed Dennis Lamp to a three-year, $1M deal. No word yet on Paul Molitor, Scott Sanderson, or Donnie Moore.

So after a few phone calls at home with fellow general managers, I hear Bill Almon has just one suitor in Montreal. The Expos make sense, as they lost shortstop Chris Speier to free agency. But that tells me that I can wait a little longer, because otherwise I might be bidding against myself.

The Hall of Fame ballot has been unveiled, and Philadelphia Inquirer beat writer Jayson Stark has published a column revealing his ballot for the Class of 1985. It includes:
  • Luis Aparicio - SS - 1956-73 - Chicago White Sox
  • Lou Brock - LF - 1961-79 - St. Louis Cardinals
  • Jim Bunning - SP - 1955-71 - Philadelphia Phillies
  • Don Drysdale - SP - 1956-69 - Los Angeles Dodgers
  • Harmon Killebrew - 1B - 1954-75 - Minnesota Twins
  • Hoyt Wilhelm - RP - 1952-72 - New York Giants

Most of these nominees are returning candidates. Aparicio is in six; he garnered 67.4 percent of the vote last time, so he’s close to getting in.

Drysdale is a favorite among the writers who were born in the 50s. He had a short but potent career, and he’s close to getting in, scoring 64.7 percent of the vote last year, in year nine.

Killebrew, who hit 573 career home runs, got 71.9 percent of the vote in his third year. It’s time. Wilhelm, a groundbreaking relief pitcher with a knuckleball, earned 65 percent of the vote last year, so he’s also close.

Then there’s Bunning, obviously a local favorite who Stark claimed should be a shoo-in. He only got 36.9 percent of the vote last year, and in eight, his candidacy might be waning.

The only first-time nominee Stark is choosing is Brock, who put up 3,023 career hits and stole 938 bases, the all-time record. I can dig it. We’ll find out Jan. 23 who made it (I’m guessing Killebrew, maybe one more player, and I’ll say it’s Aparicio).
The_Myth is offline   Reply With Quote