View Single Post
Old 07-09-2019, 12:55 PM   #40
Ming
Bat Boy

Yeah, this got me too. Here's what I figured out.

There are TWO paths that OOTP20 needs to know about, but they use two different ways of asking it.

1) The source path of your backup file.

It asks for the folder first and THEN asks for the specific subfolder that is ALSO the name of the backup.

2) The destination folder. Here's where it gets stupid. Rather than using the same interface as #1, it uses a different paradigm entirely without telling you. What it doesn't tell you is that it will default to where ALL of the other league save files are stored. And it just wants the new league name. Using this new league name, it will try and create a brand new folder for it. However, it can't do that for a variety of Windows or whatever OS related reasons:
- Maybe the folder already exists so it can't overwrite it.
- Maybe you entered a new league name that has invalid characters that can't be in a directory, like '?' or " or / or *
- Maybe you don't have write permissions for whatever access reasons the OS might make.
So all of those errors (and more) would fall under the 'can't create directory' error, but wouldn't expressly be known by the computer to actually tell you why.

My mistake was putting my entire folder path where it asked me for the "target folder". But it doesn't really mean "target folder". It really means to ask you "new league save file name"? Because that's what it's going to save it as along with all your other save files. And this step needs use a legal folder name in that particular directory, given whatever OS restrictions there are. That's what makes this hard.
Ming is offline   Reply With Quote