View Single Post
Old 05-04-2019, 10:23 AM   #789
stealofhome
Hall Of Famer

At Bat Stats

I'm trying to run an analysis on the batter/pitcher matchup but running into a few issues. First - in the players_at_bat_batting_stats export file, the "result" field is coded with a number. I was able to figure out was most of them meant, but there are no events of "3" in my file and very few "11." I have no idea what 3 may be or if it isn't coded to anything, but I believe the 11 is supposed to be a fielder's choice. However, there are many instances where a fielder's choice is not added to the database, so it looks as though it never happened.

Also, I wanted to create a league-specific run expectancy matrix, but don't think it's possible from what I have. The "run" variable in the at bat export file doesn't signify that a run was scored during the event but that the player eventually scored while on base. I figured this out while looking at why more runs were scored on walks than singles. I may just have to use Tom Tango's or something even though it's not relevant to this fictional league. Both missing and wrong data are throwing me off here.

Edit: I did just notice that the rbi column is what I was looking for, though it still is not perfect. There is also the possibility of using lineup spot to make the at_bat data sequential and building a run expectancy from that.

My eventual goal is to analyze which ratings on both the hitting and pitching side impact the matchup the most and lead to better results either way.

Last edited by stealofhome; 05-04-2019 at 10:32 AM.
stealofhome is offline   Reply With Quote