View Single Post
Old 03-12-2019, 08:51 PM   #17
ayaghmour2
Hall Of Famer

May 2nd-May 8th

May 2nd, 1903: The first of four with the 2nd Place Rebels saw Cody Hall (1-1, 6.09 ERA, 1.50 WHIP) battle the red-hot Mike Stebner (2-2, 2.41 ERA, 1.00 WHIP). Tied at 2 in the 9th, Giobbe Capuana took Stebner deep, and we held on to win the opener 3-2.

Hall went the distance, allowing 8 hits, 2 runs, 3 walks, and 3 strikeouts.

Damian Salcido was 2-for-3 with a walk and run scored. Capuana was 1-for-3 with a walk and the go-ahead shot. Carlos Sandate was 1-for-3 with a two run homer.

Newark 3B Matt White was 5-for-5 in a 5-3 win over Cleveland.

Tony Garza continuned his great season, shutting out Baltimore in a 5-0 Pittsburgh win.

May 3rd, 1903: Tobias Laranjeira was diagonsed with a rotator cuff strain, and he'll head to the DL for about 5 weeks. I recalled Ben Follmar from AAA, where he was 1-1 with a 2.45 ERA and 0.86 WHIP in 3 starts. He'd be used out of the pen.

D.J. Ruhnke (2-1, 3.43 ERA, 1.33 WHIP) got the ball today against Erik Pike (3-1, 3.72 ERA, 1.10 WHIP). We scored early and oftern, and hopped ahead of the Rebels in the standings with a 7-4 victory.

Ruhnke went 6 with 3 hits, 4 runs, 4 walks, and 8 strikeouts. Justin Pezetti got a 2 inning hold while Simon Ellilngson, our replacement closer, picked up his 2nd save after a perfect 9th.

Giobbe Capuana had an offesnive explosion, going 3-for-3 with a walk, double, 2 homers, and 5 RBI's. Josh Stevens was 2-for-4 with 3 runs scored. Justin Arrington was 1-for-3 with a solo homer, 2 walks, and a stolen base.

Capuana now leads the AL in homers with 11 while Arrington is tied with New Orleans' Jung-shuan Tong for the stolen base crown with 7.

May 4th, 1903: Milwaukee CF Brad Marino and Pittsburgh SP Tony Garza were named Player of the Week.

We looked to take the four game set a day early with Eddie Silva (1-3, 6.49 ERA, 1.73 WHIP) taking on New York's lesser Miller, Joe (1-1, 3.45 ERA, 1.21 WHIP). Although he's still probably better then our whole rotation... He's definitely better then Silva, and we were demolished 10-2...

Even better, Capuana left with an injury after a collision on the basepaths...

Silva allowed all 10 runs of 12 hits in 5.2 innings. He walked 3 and struck out 4. Travis Walters took the last 3.1 innings, allowing 2 hits and 2 walks with 2 strikeouts.

Sandate made up most of our offense, going 2-for-3 with a walk and two run homer. Jesus Camargo was 1-for-4 with a run scored.

May 5th, 1903: The finale would be tough, as the struggling Carlos Ramirez (1-3, 6.34 ERA, 1.52 WHIP) had to outduel Kevin Miller (3-3, 3.50 ERA, 1.01 WHIP) who shut us out not too long ago. We managed 2 runs, but still fell short in a 4-2 defeat.

Ramirez allowed 11 hits and 4 runs despite 8 strikeouts in the full 9 innings.

I love how my manager refuses to use the bullpen...

Yeah, sure your hook is "slightly slower" and not "never pull" I trust you...

Camargo went 2-for-4 with a run scored and RBI. Mike Legg was 1-for-3 with a run scored. Kab-shik Min was 2-for-4. That's all the hits we had...

We'd finish our homestand with the Cajuns coming to down for a three game set. We'd see Gene Parsons (1-0, 3.65 ERA), Jaime Bottorff (1-2, 4.35 ERA), and Simone Botte (1-3, 3.18 ERA).

May 6th, 1903: Capuana was diagnosed with a strained hamstring, and he'd miss 3 weeks. I didn't have any other infielder on the 40, so I purchased the contract of 2B Mike Shaddox.

A speedy switch hitter who can play all around the infielder, the 35-year-old is an intelligent hardworker who is loved in the clubhouse. He's tallied over 5,000 plate appearences in the big leagues, and owns a .286/.360/.420 batting line with 119 homers and 540 RBI's. The former 3rd Round Pick played for Brooklyn, Washington, Pittsburgh, St. Louis, Buffalo, and even Santa Clara in Cuba. He'd start at second, with Camargo sliding over to the hot corner.

The draft pool was published as well, and it's not too bad, but nothing to write home about either. Here's OSA's Top 10 and how my scouts and theirs view the prospect:

LHP Miguel Benties (3/4): 7th Round Pick by Brooklyn in 1900
RF Jeffery Middendorf (3/3): 3rd Round Pick by Milwaukee in 1902
RHP Carlos Montero (2.5/4): 5th Round Pick by Newark in 1900
RF Chris Bode (2.5/3.5): 2nd Round Pick by Baltimore in 1900
RHP Jake Miller (3.5/4.5)
RHP Greg Glaub (2.5/4)
RHP Steve Wood (2.5/4): 5th Round Pick by Cleveland in 1902
RHP Jim Beall (2.5/3): 3rd Round Pick by Brooklyn in 1900
CF Leo Medina (1/3.5)
RHP Godfrey Courtney (2/4): 6th Round Pick by Chicago in 1900

A lot of college guys at the top, but to make the game more "realistic" I usually improve high school guys that don't sign because they generally get selected higher when they are eligible again as a junior or the following year if they attend a JUCO.

The guy I have my eye on is 19-year-old Erik Rountree, who both my scout and OSA agree on as a 4* prospect. He's got elite stuff, plus-plus movement, and average control. He's got elite stamina, is an extreme groundballer, and hurls in the 91-93 range. He's got a plus-plus sinker, elite curve, and a 97 potential change.

Ironically, the Chargers took him last year in the 3rd Round, but he decided to head to Pacific for a year before re-classifying for the draft.

On the hitter side is 18-year-old CF Max Newman, where me and OSA agree again as a 3.5* potential. He's speedy and verstaile (can play 1B, 2B, LF, CF, RF), and he's a solid hitter. He's got plus-plus contact and eye potential with plus power.

New Orleans was in town for a three game set, as Gene Parsons (1-0, 3.65 ERA, 1.14 WHIP) would pitch through a mild oblique strain. He'd face Vince Brown (3-0, 3.86 ERA, 1.06 WHIP) as we looked to stop our short skid. There was no pitching to be found, but we outslugged the guests 12-9.

Brown allowed 7 runs in 5 innings, but still improved to 4-0 on the season. He walked 3 and struck out 4. Follmar earned a hold, walking 2 and getting a punch out in the 6th. Juan de Loera allowed 3 hits and 2 runs with a strikeout in 2 innings. Ellingson picked up his 3rd save with a perfect 9th.

Justin Arrington lead the charge, going 3-for-5 with 3 runs, 6 RBI's, a double, and 2 homers. Jesus Camargo was 3-for-4 with 3 runs, 2 RBI's, a double, and homer. Carlos Sandate was 3-for-5 with a steal and solo homer. Damian Salcido was 3-for-5 with 2 doubles and 2 RBI's. Kab-shik Min hit a pinch-hit hojmer in the 6th.

May 7th, 1903: The middle game saw Cody Hall (2-1, 5.23 ERA, 1.44 WHIP) face Jamie Bottorff (1-2, 4.35 ERA, 1.37 WHIP). Pitching was still nowhere to be found, but we managed to eek out an 8-7 win.

Hall went 6, giving up 7 hits and 5 runs with 4 strikeouts. Pezzeti blew a hold, 2 runs off 2 hits with 2 strikeouts in 1.2 innings. Ellingson got a strikeout in a perfect 9th to earn his 4th save.

Carlos Sndate was 3-for-5 with 3 doubles, 2 runs, and 3 RBI's. Mike Legg was 3-for-4 with 2 runs scored. Jesus Camargo was 2-for-5 with 2 doubles and 3 RBI's. Jay Morgan had a pinch hit homer in the 8th that gave us the 8-7 lead.

Cinncinati's Eric Thomas tossed a 1-hit shutout in a 7-0 win over the Mustangs.

Down in Class B, our top prospect Jorge Montalvo struck out 16 in 6.2 innings as the St. Joseph Blowfish demolished the Saginaw Sabercats 11-0. Montalvo looks like a future ace, and has made 7 great starts in his first taste of Class B action, going 3-3 with a 2.06 ERA and 1.14 WHIP while striking out 62 in 43.2 innings.

May 8th, 1903: We looked for our first sweep of the season, as D.J. Ruhnke (3-1, 4.00 ERA, 1.30 WHIP) battled Simone Botte (1-3, 3.18 ERA, 1.16 WHIP) who we beat last time we played the Cajuns. Ruhnke seemed to miss the memo about giving up as many runs as possible, and he was brilliant in a 4-0 shutout.

SWEEEEEEPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!

Ruhnke went the distance, flashing his former #1 Overall potential, allowing just 3 hits and 3 walks while striking out 12.

Omar Attillo was 2-for-2 with 2 walks, a double, and RBI. Sandate was 1-for-4 with a solo shot. Josh Stevens was 1-for-3 with a double, run scored, walk, and RBI. Justin Arrington was 1-for-2 with 2 walks and a run scored.

Buffalo 2B John McKenzie was 5-for-5 in a 9-0 win over Philadelphia. Philadelphia sits in first at 23-11 while Buffalo is 9 games back and in 8th and just 13-19 on the season.

We get tomorrow off so we can really party tonight and enjoy the sweep!