View Single Post
Old 02-24-2018, 10:20 PM   #25
BradS
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexb View Post
i’ve playing fof since 2004, but tbh didn’t really like the latest fof8.

The stats base is still good, but there are a couple of game ruining elements for me, revolving around depth charts, substitutions and defensive player roles:

You can set who will be the starting players for pretty much every package on offense and players, but there is literally no way to set back ups or injury replacements.
So its sometimes the case that an ot ends up getting subbed in at te and haring down the sidelines for a long gain.
Being able to set primary back ups is a must for me, on offense and defence - the current system also makes it very difficult to get rookies experience unless they are clear starters.

Similarly on defence, while there is a penalty on under or oversized players, there is no experience penalty for changing positions.
So for example, to avoid cuts the ai oftens seems to change lb or de players to dts in order to meet minimum roster requirements, which leads to a number of 260lb dts floating around. Or a number of dts are generated way too light t9 be effective.
This needs to stop, either by removing roster restrictions, thus preventing the need to change player positions, stopping these silly conversions/creations happening, or the game converting these types of fa players to a more suitable position to allow other ai teams to pick them up

if we can put depth charts back in, control subs better, and stop defensive anomalies, that would go a long way to fixing fof8 in its current form.
(although an offensive playbook generator based on preference selections similar to the preference draft at the start of the game would be great too!)

rather than tweaks like the above however, what the game really needs to add is the ability to bring the game universe around your team to life.

Creating a home screen/in-game website that summares the weeks results, game reports, details of stat leaders, records broken, players of the week, playoff scenarios, rivalries, etc in a visually appealing format would be huge and reaaly draw you into the game world

instead the player currently has to pull that information out of the game - most of what i mentioned is there, it just takes an effort to find it and is presented as cold hard stats, not in a way that makes you feel part of a living, breathing world.

Hopefully this is what the liaison with ootp will add, for me anyway. Fingers crossed for all involved.
indeed