View Single Post
Old 09-09-2016, 07:03 AM   #29
JMDurron
All Star Starter

It is rather obnoxious, IMO, that OOTP doesn't let you restore to the same directory as your original game. You have to create a new league name/directory to restore to in order to execute it. Honestly, the most intuitive way to "backup" your league is to make a spare copy of your entire league directory elsewhere on your HDD (this is what "Copy All Files" under Backup does anyway, it just does it to a pre-set directory, and you still have the frustrating restore design issue), and then copy that back over on top of your original directory in the event that you confront the need to do so.

Because OOTP at its core is a very robust simulation engine, the largest cohort of long-term users are likely to be very savvy computer users in general. Those same users are likely to make up the largest subset of the population in these forums. However, between the MLB license, 3D capability, and general increase in use of online reviews and resources to make gaming purchase decisions, my personal opinion is that there are going to be more users coming into this community that are not as sim/computer savvy, or are used to a more "normal" (think MS Office products) file Backup/Save and Restore/Load structure.

Since we can't effectively notify users who haven't shown up here yet to be wary of potential reactions against seemingly ignorant/hostile questions, I think those of us who have been around for a few years need to prepare ourselves psychologically by shifting our expectations of how new users may be coming into the OOTP community. There are absolutely still going to be trolls, because online marketing/messaging is absolutely a thing that rival companies will use to try to muddy the waters, but I think the legit question-vs-troll ratio is shifting away from our historical expectations, therefore we must modify our mental Likely Troll Modifiers accordingly.
JMDurron is offline   Reply With Quote