View Single Post
Old 07-19-2016, 03:31 PM   #8
AEWHistory
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR View Post
The problem is, the NHL allowed underaged players to be taken in the first two rounds of the 1974. Right now, there's no easy way in the game to have draft eligibility vary by round in the same draft, so either we allow no underagers in 1974 and have some very significant players (Bryan Trottier, for example) not allowed to play until a year or two later than they did historically, or allow them to be taken in all rounds in 1974, which tends to deplete the draft pool badly for 1975 because the best 1955-born . We've gone with the latter.

I've taken a few steps to help with the situation - adding extra 1955-born players to the database to pad the 1975 draft pool, and changing a few settings to the way the 1974 draft handles league rights for players not selected in it. (And I think I'm also going to reduce the length of the 1974 draft as well, but haven't done that yet.) So now there are a few players, at least, showing up when you get to the 1975 draft, instead of none at all. But it's still going to be significantly weaker than other seasons until we come up with a way to do variable rules within a draft, and that's going to pose some challenges - not just coding the rules themselves, but getting the AI to handle the situation properly.
i think I understand, but I'm not sure. So basically by modeling the way the NHL did things with the crop of players from that period meant that the players who should've gone in the 1975 draft ended up in the '74 draft? So that's why '74 is obscenely talented and '75 seems like a high school scrimmage squad? (Just kidding, but you get the idea.)

Is it possible to code a degree of variability in this? I have no idea how much work this would be, so maybe what I'm asking/suggesting would be unreasonable, but this would be a major bonus throughout all of the draft years. For example, let's say 5-10% of players become available the years after they would appeared and another few percent come a year early? Maybe that's too much, but it would smooth out the weird bump in '74 and not allow historical mode players to be able to count on certain players becoming available all of the time. Or does the game already do something like this?

As an aside, I don't mind uneven drafts, or even really bad drafts. That happens. It's just completely ahistorical that a draft would produce absolutely not a single NHL caliber player--probably not even a decent fourth liner. I don't think that's ever happened in sports history.

Despite my reaction before, I would like to help if I can. I enjoy this game a great deal and know you all work hard. I do as well, however, and didn't appreciate the response. For my part I could've handled that better. Thanks for the response, Aaron

Edit: the more I think about your post the more I think I understand the dilemma. So it basically comes down to accepting a lot of players early or a lot late for 74-75? Would it be possible to code a randomness to the underage players for just this period? for example, 50 of players underage in 1974 go into draft and 50% wait until 75? I'm totally fine with the variability. What's the point of replaying history if it's all going to be the same, right?

Last edited by AEWHistory; 07-19-2016 at 03:35 PM.
AEWHistory is offline   Reply With Quote