View Single Post
Old 02-03-2019, 05:37 PM   #2
Cobby
Minors (Triple A)

I'll be interested to hear what people come up with since I have many of the same cities in my fictional league.

Here are some that I use:

Cleveland Cats - The "cats" refer to the translation of the name of the tribe that lived on southern shore of Lake Erie - sometimes also translated as "long tails" both apparently referring to the panthers that lived in the area. So Panthers would work too, but I like Cats for the alliteration - it could also be short for Catamount.

Orlando Cepedas - I can never resist that one, but Orlando is a minor league team in my universe.

Dallas Meadowlarks - a name that doesn't try too hard. In the same vein as Cardinals, Orioles and Blue Jays...

Denver Doodle-Doos - I kind of doubt anyone else would want to use that one. Y'see - when a shady character rumored to be connected with cock fighting became the owner of the Denver expansion team, he wanted to call it the Denver Cocks. The league nixed the idea, so he named them the Doodle-Doos out of spite and the name caught on and became loved by the fans. In the early years when the team wasn't doing so well the fans affectionately called them the Doo-Doos.

Seattle Satellites - this plays on the name for denizens of Seattle ("Seattleites") and also with the aerospace theme (Boeing being a manufacturer of Satellites)

Salt Lake City Saints - can't see how it could be anything else.

San Diego Blue Whales - at least that's what I've been using.

Tulsa Tornadoes - I have this for Tulsa's minor league team in my universe.
Cobby is offline   Reply With Quote