View Single Post
Old 02-04-2019, 01:21 PM   #26
<Pion>
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renfro View Post
Both of these suggestions are really good. And, as if on cue, this season (year 2028), 4 teams are being promoted out of Bronze, Silver, and Gold:

Four could be the right number. There's this tension of giving people the opportunity to have the excitement of making it to the League Championship with keeping the regular season competitive and/or interesting. I remember when my flagship team got promoted out of Bronze even though we didn't make the WS and I thought feeling only a bit disappointed thinking "Well, there goes our best opportunity to win a WS." (Which was entirely wrong thinking, BTW, as we won at all in Gold.)

I like the "average overall ratings" idea. I I vaguely remember my first team coming out of Entry Pool, checking everybody's rosters, and was surprised to see that each side of the league seemed equitable. That is, one side had teams with a few Diamonds while the other side maybe had one Diamond throughout. Despite knowing that the OVR isn't the end all, the OVR still provides a quick and easy evaluation. I still do the "diamond and gold count" for my division. In one of my Bronze league divisions, there's only 3 Diamonds and 8 Golds. I have 2 of those Diamonds ... though I'd just as easily run out Mel Ott (Gold) over Aaron Judge (Diamond) but I'm compelled to play Judge if only because he's one of two Diamonds I've ever pulled out of pack.

But as I was writing this, I seem to remember - seasons ago - that there was an Achievement for betting a significantly higher-rated team. You got PP for that. OOTP kept/keeps track of that somehow.

Since it's been established that OVR does not make for a good judge of talent, I don't see how average OVR would be good to use for promotion. Maybe it should be something else such as current record, or maybe even career record at a specific level or career record at all levels.
<Pion> is offline   Reply With Quote