View Single Post
Old 11-20-2019, 08:11 AM   #65
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

I've moved into September now and nothings changed in the NL. Boston remains 12 games in front of Pittsburgh. In the AL, St. Louis has upped their lead to 8 games over the Boston Americans. The Americans bullpen is killing them. Their bullpen ERA is well above 5 and no lead is safe once a starter departs.

A team that's been interesting to watch this year is the Chicago Cubs. The Cubs are still pretty bad and will finish in the bottom half of the NL, but they're are showing strong signs of improvement. Ted Williams is leading the NL in hitting and Johnny Antonelli has 19 wins to lead all NL pitchers in that category. Sad thing is, Larry Rosenthal last years rookie of the year has tanked this year, hitting below .200 so far.

On the flipside would be the New York Highlanders. The Highlanders were in contention for most of 1904, but an awful August in which they dropped 12 straight game has them bouncing between 6th and 7th place in the AL. Brooklyn has yet to show any signs of improvement in the NL and the Giants can best be described as mediocre.

Mickey Mantle now has 27 home runs to lead the AL. He's hitting .340+ and 10+ WAR with roughly 30 some games to play. His on base percentage is in the .480 range. His teammate Carlos Gonzalez loves him to the tune of an AL leading 108 RBI.

Sad to say I'm praying Greg Maddux retires after the 1904 season. Maddus is 38 and the OOTP Gods have not been kind to him. Towards the end of 1902 Cleveland moved Maddux to the bullpen. They kept him there for the entire 1903 season. Maddux did not impress. The Naps then traded Greg to the Boston Americans prior to the 1904 season. I thought, maybe a change of scenery would do Maddux some good and maybe he could turn things around. The opposite occurred, as Greg may have declined even more. He now sits at the bottom of the American's pen.
David Watts is offline   Reply With Quote