View Single Post
Old 06-01-2019, 03:52 PM   #4
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

NITIAL ROSTER ASSESSMENT AND MY FIRST TRADE

It took no time at all to decide I had no pitching whatsoever. I also thought I would be happy with any of the top 15-20 draft picks so I decided to see what the #2 overall was worth on the market. My head scout hated all the pitchers in the draft class, so he is either a terrible judge of pitching or it is a down year for hurlers. Either way I felt I would not get pitching help from the top of the draft. My hope was to trade down in the first round and pick up either a veteran pitcher or a top prospect in the deal.

I talked with three teams but only really got serious with one. Toronto made an offer and they had a young pitcher I really wanted. While they did not want to part with him we eventually came up with a deal that I was very happy with (and I think they were too as Toronto had it's eyes on someone in the draft.)

I dealt the #2 pick and one of my good young outfield prospects - which was really the only position I had very good depth at - to go down 4 spots in the draft, as well as add 2 more picks and a pair of pitchers. The picks were #6 in the first, second and fourth rounds. The pitchers, I am sure, were both expendable from Toronto's point of view but likely will be both be in my starting rotation next season. Carl Williams, a 28 year old who went 10-13 with a 4.85 era for the Toronto Wolves last year and judging by their team would likely not make their rotation next season. For me he will be the number 3 starter unless I make some other upgrades. I also got a 26 year old - we will call him a prospect still since he has yet to pitch in the bigs - named Topsy Moran.

Moran is coming off a great year with AAA Buffalo where he went 19-6, with a 3.38 era and 196 strikeouts vs just 56 walks in 213 innings. The only thing I did not like about him is his personality says he is unmotivated. It's stats only so I have no ratings to go one which means I am putting an even higher value in personality then I might otherwise. That personality factor really was the big reason why I wanted the other prospect from Toronto but they held strong and we finally agreed to a deal including Moran.

As for the draft pick dropping from #2 to #6 could not have worked out better for me. The guy I really wanted and ranked first overall on my list - an outfielder named Al Wheeler that my scout feels has tremendous power potential - went first to Detroit so I would not have had a chance at him regardless. It turns out the guy I ranked second, a college outfielder named Doug Lightbody, was still around so I got him with the 6th pick and had two additional picks to play with as well. Maybe my scout is bad at judging pitching talent because it turns out Toronto used that #2 pick on a pitcher - a high schooler from Albuquerque named Eddie Quinn. I hope Quinn works out well for Toronto but if he does then my scout should probably be looking for a new job. I really like the guy I got at #6 and if Moran can pan out I will be real happy with the deal.

So I think my first online league trade worked out okay for me. A good trade helps both teams and I think the outfield prospect I sent to Toronto will be a really good one. As for the players Toronto took #2 in the draft and the one I took 6th....like everyone else in this stats only realm it will be a couple of years before we know how that worked out for both of us. But it was a good negotiation with a few prospects names bandied about and some give and take on both teams part. In short, a lot of fun and much more realistic then dealing with the cpu GM in solo play.

Hopefully in a few league years we are both real happy with the deal.
Tiger Fan is online now   Reply With Quote