View Single Post
Old 09-10-2019, 09:20 AM   #190
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caporegime View Post
Bru,

Glad to see you're still holding down the fort here. I keep forgetting to check in here while scouring through the mod forums for logos/unis/caps for the league I'm currently running.

At any rate, I'm the superstitious sort, so I won't be breaking out any party favors here just yet in celebration of what has developed to be one absolutely amazing and improbable season. Suffice it to say that in the 43 years I've been following baseball and the Yanks in particular, I don't believe I've seen a team suffer as many injuries as this one has and still contend, let alone dominate, the way this team has. Aaron Boone deserves the Manager of The Year Award for the job he's done with this team.
Glad to have some company! I use this thread as a sort of diary of Yankees thoughts, hence my multiple posts, but for some reason I like to record my impressions here. It's as if they have a measure of permanence.

It's funny you mentioned Boone for MOTY. I'm watching the replay of last night's game (after having peaked at the online newspaper for results) and they just said that although Rocco Baldelli deserves some consideration, Boone has by far and away done an outstanding job managing this ballclub given what has happened this year.

I'm not a rabid, narrow-minded fan, but if there is a General Manager of the Year Award, Brian Cashman would deserve that as well. He also has made all the right moves this year.

One other thought about what I just read: The Yankees finished 14-5 against the Red Sox in 2019, a stunning turnaround from last season and recent times in general. Very gratifying, I must say.

Which does not lead me to gloat over Dave Dombrowski being fired, however. Late in the 2015 season, he takes over a team that finished last in the American League East. The next three seasons, they finish first, they win 108 games in 2018 and win a world championship. The team stumbles in 2019 and he's fired. There's even a headline out there about whether Alex Cora will be fired.

My allegiance to the New York Yankees is indelible. It has to be quite strong for me to keep coming back year after year to follow them, considering how dumb MLB is; that and my love of Baseball in general. I say "MLB" but I could say the same for all professional sports these days.

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote