View Single Post
Old 05-16-2006, 06:17 PM   #1
bear
Global Moderator

Bear’s 4-Fs (Fictional Fighters of Film and Fiction)

Bear’s 4-Fs (Fictional Fighters of Film and Fiction)
Literature, film, theater, and television are but some of strands woven into the tapestry that forms a historical whole known to the world as boxing fiction. In this thread I plan to explore these various strands by adding “real” fictional boxers to the fictional Title Bout character pool.

I’ll draw on my library of boxing literature that includes numerous literary works as well as a nearly complete run of Fight Stories magazine. For film and television I’ll rely on materials found on CBZ, and the Internet Movie Data Base. These materials will be supplemented with information found in Frederick V. Romano’s The Boxing Filmography: American Features 1920-2003. I’ve examined nearly 700 films on the IMDB and have extensive notes using the film summaries and reviews. These were cross referenced with Romano. IMDB also lists TV appearances.

I’ll follow the following procedure in this thread. All named fictional fighters will be rated. When only a character’s given name is available I’ll improvise generally playing off of the actor’s name. Pics of the actors will be included when found. If an actor played an unnamed fighter in a film I might improvise a name based on other roles in film. If more than one actor has played a character I’ll create multiple fighters only if I have pics of both. In this case I’ll take some liberties naming them. For example, Robert B. Parker’s characters Hawk and Spenser have been played by several actors. Emphasis will be placed on ex-boxers now in a film role when doing this and on actors who had multiple roles as boxers. In the case of film bios of historical fighters names will be hybridized eg, Muhammad Ali-Smith. In the case of literary creations I’ll make use of character names. The only possible graphics for these might be dust jacket scans if available.

Bear
bear is offline   Reply With Quote