View Single Post
Old 06-16-2019, 06:00 PM   #7
legendsport
Hall Of Famer

That winter, as Rufus and Alice prepared for their wedding (which would take place in February to allow them time to honeymoon before Rufus had to report to Hot Springs for the "boil out" practices with his new team), William Whitney changed the landscape of professional baseball.

Whitney called it the "Federally Aligned Baseball Leagues" and with a few strokes of a pen, it erased the Brooklyn Bigsbys from existence. Miles Bigsby and his nephew were now the owners of the New York Gothams and Brooklyn's Peerless League club had been folded into the Border Association's Brooklyn Kings. Of course, the Border Association itself was also no more - it was now something called the "Continental Association" and the Century League was likewise gone, replaced by the "Federal Association." For Rufus, what it added up to was a whole lot of uncertainty.

"I knew that Whitney would foul this up," Joe pointed out as he shook his copy of the Sporting News. The fact that he'd said nothing of the sort came to mind for Rufus, but he was too stunned to say anything. Rufus and the Reids were sitting in the kitchen of the small home Joe and Alice shared on Habersham Street in Savannah.

"Dad, you know that the three leagues were killing each other, and the sport," Alice pointed out. She had a suprisingly insightful mind for business. "What Whitney did was save the sport from itself."

Joe waved a hand, "That's bull. What he did was put over a hundred ballplayers out of work," he retorted.

Rufus said, "I hope I'm not one of them."

Joe looked at him and said, "You know you have a spot with the Sycamores for as long as you're playing, Rufus."

"I know, and I appreciate it. I just wish I knew what was going to happen next."

The answer came in late January, via telegram from the offices of the Brooklyn Kings.

"To Mr. Rufus Barrell of Savannah, Georgia: The Brooklyn Kings County Baseball Club wishes to inform you that it will exercise the option to retain your services as contracted with the Brooklyn Bigsby Baseball Club, pursuant to the contract signed by Mr. Barrell on October 22, 1891. Please sign and return the contract you will receive in the post and report to official team practices starting March 30th at the Kings County Baseball Grounds. Signed Jack Pinkerton, General Manager, Brooklyn Kings County Baseball Club.

"Whoo-hoo!" Rufus shouted, waving the telegram. "The Kings are going to honor the contract! I have to sign the new contract they're sending and then report to Brooklyn in March!"

Joe smiled and said, "And you won't be working for those Bigsbys either - I've heard good things about Malcolm Presley."

Alice clapped in delight, the relief obvious on her face. "If I ever run into William Whitney, I might just kiss him on the lips!" she exclaimed.

Joe laughing, said, "Not if I get to him first!"

So it was that in late March of 1892, the newly married Mr. and Mrs. Rufus Barrell sailed into New York harbor aboard a steamer from Savannah. Rufus stared open-mouthed at the mass of humanity as the pair debarked from their ship.

Alice smiled at her husband and said, "Close your mouth, Rufus, before something flies in there and makes a nest."

Rufus forced himself to stop staring and began looking for a hansom cab. "This is incredible," he said. "Who knew that there were so many people in one place?"

Alice just shook her head and then pointed Rufus towards a line of cabs. "Let's get to the hotel, I'd like to freshen up," she said, gently pushing Rufus towards the cabs.

Rufus' wonderment continued all through the ride, particularly as the cab crossed the enormous Brooklyn Bridge - "What an engineering marvel!" he exclaimed as he peered up at the towers and the web of supporting cables. Eventually they arrived at the hotel, Rufus still dumbfounded by the sheer number of people on the streets.

The hotel was a temporary home for them - Alice had taken charge and would find them a "suitable" home while Rufus concentrated on baseball.

Rufus was met at the ballpark by the Kings' General Manager, Jack Pinkerton. Pinkerton, Rufus knew, had played for both the Century League's Brooklyn Unions and the Kings as well as for the Keystones and Cleveland Cuyahogas. He was surprisngly young, and looked like he could still play. He shook Rufus' hand vigorously.

"I know Bill Wells, and he knows a ballplayer when he sees one. So we're happy to have you on board," he said with a smile.

"Thanks, Mr. Pinkerton, I am thrilled to be a part of the Kings."

Pinkerton waved him off, "Just call me Jack."

It turned out that Pinkerton knew Joe Reid. "We did some barnstorming back in the early 80s. I also remember Peaches - she was a feisty little girl, let me tell you. I assume she's mellowed with age?"

Rufus laughed and said, "Not a bit. She's probably more feisty than ever now. Once we've found a place to live, you should join us for dinner. Alice enjoys hearing stories about her father's playing days."

Things were going very well for Mr. Rufus Barrell and continued that way until the first exhibition match of the year.

The game, at the Bigsby Oval in Manhattan, was against the New York Gothams. The proceeds of the contest between clubs in opposing circuits (Brooklyn was a Continental club, the Gothams a Federal outfit) would go to support the New York Police's Widow & Orphan fund.

When Rufus came out onto the field to warm up he was amazed at the size of the ballpark. It had started out as a racetrack and the "Oval" in the name was nearly literal. There was a lot of foul territory - good for the pitchers - but also short porches in both corners - not so good for the pitchers.

The Kings manager, Joe Johnson, was also the club's first baseman. He was a serious sort, as was the catcher, Amos Gatlin. Rufus grinned a little as he mentally compared the stoic Gatlin with the outsized personality of Rollie Daniels. Johnson penciled Rufus in as the starter, though he would only pitch two innings before giving way to the team's incumbent ace, Jim Cross (who Rufus had found was -not- related to Johnny Cross).

The Gothams were a good team - they had merged with the New York Imperials, and gotten back most of the talent they'd lost when the Peerless League first started up. John Jones was not with the team - but he had been moved from Charleston to another independent league club in Hartford, Connecticut (Rufus had to look at a map to find Hartford, having never heard of it before). The Gothams did have a young infielder named Ossie Julious who would play a bit, but the star of the team was outfielder George Blankenship, who had won two batting titles and was one of the few players who didn't abandon the Gothams for the Imperials, making him a fan favorite.

Julious did play - in fact he led off the game - and Rufus set him down on a grounder to shortstop on a nice change-of-pace pitch. He also set down Denny Fuller, getting him to pop out to right field. That brought Blankenship to the plate.

Gatlin wanted to start Blankenship with a fastball. Rufus remembered Joe's advice but thought he'd dial it up just a bit to show Blankenship what he had. So he gassed the fastball up there. It was high, but Gatlin snatched it - ball one.

Gatlin shook his mitted hand a bit and put down the number one again. Rufus reared back and fired, this time holding back just a bit.

He awoke an unknown time later, hazy and with a pounding pain in his head. He opened his eyes and saw Alice sitting beside him, worry creasing her brow and tears in her eyes.

"You're awake!" she nearly shouted and then took his hand. "Oh, Rufus, I've been so worried!"

Rufus felt as though his mouth was full of cotton, but managed to croak out, "What happened?"

A man in a white coat leaned over him and looked into his eyes, "Ah, that's a good sign," he said to Alice.

Rufus again croaked, "What happened... where am I?"

The man - a doctor, Rufus finally realized as the haze lifted just a bit - looked down at him. "You were hit in the head by a baseball. You're at Kings County Hospital and you're lucky to be alive, son."

Figment League - A fictional history of baseball - Want to join in the fun? Shoot me a PM!

Read the story of the Barrell Family - A Figment Baseball tale

The Figment Sports Universe - More Fake Sports Than You Can Shake a Stick At!
legendsport is offline   Reply With Quote