View Single Post
Old 06-14-2019, 06:54 AM   #4
legendsport
Hall Of Famer

Scouts showed up twice more before that 1890 season came to an end. One of them, according to Joe Reid was Wash Whitney, son of "that no good liar William Whitney." When pressed for details, Joe would not provide them. Rufus noted that "You know, Joe, most baseball fans think Whitney's a genius." Joe turned away, a stream of profanity pouring from his mouth. His daughter shook her head and said to Rufus, "You know, he won't tell me why he hates Whitney so much, either, so don't feel bad about it."

Rufus was surprised to find that the 23-year-old Wash Whitney was actually a rather pleasant fellow, if a bit young to be scouting ballplayers (having never been one himself). Wash was cognizant of this as well, telling Rufus, "Heck, I know that if I wasn't William-By God-Whitney's son I wouldn't be out patrolling the country watching young ballplayers." He smiled sheepishly and added, "I'm not all that sure I'm really good at it, but I can say that you're one of the better looking players I've seen so far in this league. And I will tell my father as much when I get back to Chicago." Rufus thanked him, and wondered again just what Whitney Senior had done to make Joe dislike him so much.

When the season ended, the players were expected to clean out their lockers. Joe had booked a circus for the ballpark and the performers needed the clubhouse. Rufus hoped they cleaned up after the elephants - he didn't want to accidentally encounter any six-month-old droppings in the outfield next spring.

It was a melancholy moment - some of the guys knew they would not be back in the spring. In her role as her father's assistant, Miss Reid was there to help the players with turning in their uniforms and equipment. Rufus saw this as an opportunity to speak with her without her father looming in the background.

"So, Miss Reid, what are your plans now that the season's over?" he asked as he bent into his locker to pick up a broken belt he'd thrown in there back in June.

She made a checkmark on a list she was carrying and without looking up, said, "Oh, I will probably return to Philadelphia to see my mother. I hear she has found a potential suitor for me. I may be married before you see me next spring."

Rufus froze - still bent at the waist in front of his locker. He felt his face redden and before he could control himself, he spluttered, "What?!?"

He heard her laughing, so he stood and turned.

"Ha! I pulled the wool over your eyes, didn't I, Mr. Barrell?" she asked while still laughing.

"How much of that was a tall tale?" Rufus asked.

"Oh, all of it. My mother is too busy entertaining - and being entertained - to worry about finding me a husband, so I'll spend the winter with my father."

Visibly relieved, Rufus said, "You really gave me a start there, Miss Reid."

She tiled her head to one side. "You know," she began, "maybe you should call me Alice."

He smiled, "I'd like that."

She held out her hand, palm up. Rufus frowned in confusion.

"The belt?" she said, pointing.

He handed her the belt as she said, "I hope you have a working belt. You'll need something to hold your pants up when you take me to the theater."

Rufus felt his face redden again. "Uh, sure I have another belt. I broke that one sliding into home back in June," he stammered and then added, "Alice."

That winter, as he began a relationship with Peaches (he had to concentrate on remembering that he was supposed to call her Alice), was one of the best of his life. And this was despite hearing several pieces of news that would normally have left him deeply depressed.

First, Sam George left the Kings to become the manager of the New York Gothams. The so-called "Border War" now had a new front as a third major circuit, called the Peerless League, was announced. The Gothams roster had been hit hard by the Peerless League's New York Imperials and George was brought in to provide both name-recogition and stability.

Then after George took over the Gothams, his first move was to purchase the contract of John Jones from Charleston, though he promptly loaned him back to the Maroons. "That's common," noted Joe Reid, looking up from his Sporting News. "Good as Jones is, he's not ready for the big time yet. So you'll get to pitch to him again next season." He raised an eyebrow and added, "Try to overcome the impulse to bury your fastball in his ribs, okay?"

Johnny Cross got a job too. And his was in the big time - the Century League's Cincinnati Hustlers signed him after a bidding war with the Chicago Chiefs (Wash Whitney - like Sam George - had really liked what he'd seen of Cross during his scouting trip through the Coastal circuit).

All this and Rufus Barrell was still stuck in Savannah. Ultimately he decided that being stuck there was okay by him - as long as Miss Alice Reid was there too.

Their relationship developed despite a somewhat lukewarm reception from Joe: "I don't want my daughter marrying a ballplayer," he said, adding, "Especially one who's so dumb he doesn't realize he doesn't need to try to throw the ball through a brick wall on every pitch."

The best sign of his new status came when he was invited to Philadelphia for Christmas. Joe and his estranged wife had decided on a "family" celebration. On the train ride north, Alice informed Rufus that the real purpose of the trip was for her mother to meet her new beau. "So try not to be such a rube," she said, and punched him in the shoulder.

Figment League - A fictional history of baseball - Want to join in the fun? Shoot me a PM!

Read the story of the Barrell Family - A Figment Baseball tale

The Figment Sports Universe - More Fake Sports Than You Can Shake a Stick At!
legendsport is offline   Reply With Quote