View Single Post
Old 06-13-2019, 10:01 AM   #3
legendsport
Hall Of Famer

Barely 17 years old, and nervous as a long-tailed cat in a roomful of rocking chairs, Rufus Barrell went out and pitched a heck of a game... well, almost.

The leadoff man for Charleston, a fellow named Dan Tanner, was one of the few hitters in the league who could hit Rufus well. Rufus, geared up with nerves and adrenaline, fired the first pitch right over Tanner's head. The ball, sizzling with speed, hit the screen Reid had installed behind home plate, just above where Sam George was watching. To his credit, George didn't even flinch.

The Sycamores' catcher, Rollie Daniels, called timeout and trotted out to the mound. "Whew... I tell you son," (he called Rufus son, despite being only 19 himself), "It's hotter than a goat's butt in a pepper patch out here." Then he grinned and added, "So why don't you try to go easy." Then he winked at Rufus and returned to his spot behind the plate.

Rufus did settle down and got Tanner to ground out to short. From there he cruised through the first five innings. Unfortunately for Rufus, he and his team mates hadn't scored either, and the game remained scoreless. Some of that was due to the fellow pitching for Charleston - his name was Johnny Cross and he'd go on to have a decent career with the Chicago Chiefs and Detroit Dynamos. But on that day in 1890, he was just a 17-year-old kid throwing darts for the Charleston Maroons.

In the top of the sixth, the Maroons' best hitter, a Californian named John Jones, came to the plate and, on the first pitch, ripped a liner into the gap in left. As Rufus went to back up third, he noted just how fast Jones was - the guy was flying around the bases. As Jones headed for third, the shortstop took a throw from the centerfielder, turned, and fired the ball over the third baseman, over Rufus, and into the stands. Jones, grinning, trotted home and it was 1-0, Charleston.

Cross kept putting up zeroes - as did Rufus, but the damage was done and the Sycamores lost, 1-0. After the game, Rollie patted Rufus on the shoulder and noted, "Don't let it get your goat. That Jones boy was faster than a one-legged man in a butt-kicking competition, son." Rufus felt his mouth curl in a little grin, shook his head and replied, "Rollie, you sure do have a way with words."

Joe Reid was standing on the top step of the dugout, and next to him was Sam George. As Rufus passed by, Joe held up a hand. "Rufus, you pitched a great game. One, or two, mistakes, but sometimes that's all it takes." He paused and then pointing to George, added, "I'd like to introduce Mr. Sam George of Brooklyn, New York. Sam and I scratched around in the same batter's box a few times in the bygone days of yesteryear. Now he's a scout."

George stuck out a hand. "Rufus, nice to meet to you. Everything Joe said about your performance today was true."

"Thank you, Mr. George," Rufus replied.

"Listen, I know Joe probably told you why I was here. You're only part of the story - I also needed to get a look at Cross and Jones. All three of you looked like ballplayers. Still raw, but the potential's there. Keep doing what you're doing and you'll be seeing me, or someone like me, again soon." Then he turned to Reid, patted him on the shoulder and said, "See you around, Joe. If you ever get back up North, look me up."

Rufus watched as George crossed the infield towards the Charleston dugout, where he would no doubt give a variation of the same speech to Cross & Jones.

Rufus started to head for the clubhouse when Reid called him back. "Walk with me, Rufus," he said and headed towards the backstop.

Reid stopped and pointed at the net. "Look up there, Rufus. You damn near tore a hole in my screen."

"Sorry, Joe, that one just got away from me."

Joe nodded and said, "Listen, you have to learn to rein it in sometimes. When you throw your hardest, you lose your control. And a pitcher without control will soon be a pitcher without a job."

Rufus was nodding again when someone else shouted, "Oh, leave him alone - that little bit of danger is what makes him exciting."

Joe shook his head, "Apparently my daughter doesn't know when to mind her tongue."

Rufus looked over at Peaches, who waved at him before turning and disappearing into the tunnel. He smiled and winked at Joe before heading for the clubhouse, whistling softly. Before he started down the dugout steps he turned and said to Joe, "She thinks I'm exciting."

Joe just shook his head and muttered something about kids.

Figment League - A fictional history of baseball - Want to join in the fun? Shoot me a PM!

Read the story of the Barrell Family - A Figment Baseball tale

The Figment Sports Universe - More Fake Sports Than You Can Shake a Stick At!

Last edited by legendsport; 06-13-2019 at 10:44 AM.
legendsport is offline   Reply With Quote