View Single Post
Old 04-20-2018, 12:45 PM   #7
BirdWatcher
Hall Of Famer

Thanks joefromchicago! I am quite new to OOTP so did not realize that this was a feature in much earlier versions (or even that it has been requested since by other players.)
I agree that this is still relatively rare and certainly very rare is the situation where there are two good to great players in one family (again, Griffeys, Bonds, Boones, etc.) but I think not really all that terribly rare that there there are sons, grandsons, nephews, cousins, brothers, etc. of MLB players (including not terribly good MLB players) who also play pro ball but never make it to The Show. I think of examples like Al Kaline's grandson Colin who played a little A-ball in 2011-2012. This is really what I'm interested in more than the rarity of solid to great major leaguers in the same family. (Also, I find myself tuning in to random current MLB games and seeing a Bedrosian pitch to a Butera and feeling like I've stepped back into the '80's. My impression, with no data to support it, is that this sort of thing is quite a bit less rare in baseball than in other major professional sports.)
What I envision is creating relatives of players in my fictional league and then watching them as they try to make their way through the minors to the bigs. I would hope that most of them would not get higher than AA/AAA or maybe a quick cup of coffee stint in the majors. I would want it to be very rare, as it should, that one of them become a successful major leaguer and even more rare that one become a star or HOF'er. And I plan to set up a method where the players with relatives who become professional players are very random so it could happen that a mop-up reliever with only a season or two at the top level could have a son who becomes an All-Star outfielder or Cy Young award winning starting pitcher.
And I completely understand that in the grand scheme of things family relationships would not be a high priority for the developers. I have no problem keeping records of this sort of thing the old fashioned way.

Last edited by BirdWatcher; 04-20-2018 at 01:01 PM.
BirdWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote