View Single Post
Old 04-19-2018, 03:52 PM   #1
BirdWatcher
Hall Of Famer

Baseball family legacies in fictional leagues

I just started thinking about this a few minutes ago in relation to my current (and first) fictional league and then low and behold I see a new section here just dedicated to fictional leagues. So this seems like as good a time and place to bring this up as there could be.

One of the things I love about baseball is the way it gets passed down from generation to generation and that includes the propensity for professional baseball players to spawn more professional baseball players. I am fascinated by multi-generational baseball families like the Hairstons and Bells, etc. And the father and son combinations that reach way beyond the obvious Griffeys and Bonds and Fielders to also include brief MLB careers for the likes of Pete Rose Jr. and Bump Wills.

So I find myself thinking that eventually I would love to see some of the current players in my fictional league (the W.P. Kinsella League) with sons or grandsons (or nephews, sons-in-law, etc.) finding their way into the minors at least with the possibility of eventual major league (WPK) careers of their own. (Thinking ahead, if I play the league far enough into the future- the starting point was the 1965 season- I would love to have daughters and granddaughters, nieces, daughters-in-law, etc. also- but I guess that's another thread entirely.)

What I'm wondering is if I am the only lunatic who thinks like this or if this is something anyone else here has incorporated into their fictional league. And how you went about it. Also, is there any way in the game to indicate family relationships among the players?
BirdWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote