View Single Post
Old 11-13-2008, 12:31 PM   #88
SteveP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gambo View Post
It is a well known fact that OOTP has much more difficulty rating pitchers than batters.
OK, I think I am finally catching on. If I start a 1960 league ten times using any DB, I am likely to get ten different ratings for pitchers, especially for those that have limited stats for 1960 (in which the differences can be quite large). I assume that 3 or 5 yr recalc produces less volatile results, which makes it odd that the game doesn't allow similar averages when starting a league. Also, in starting a league, the computer has to decide if a pitcher is an SP or an MR/CL as part of the ratings calculation, which I assume also affects endurance. In this era, a lot of pitchers were both during a season. So, that's another way for odd ratings to creep in.

I now think that the best course of action is to do a league set up many times, pick the one that produces the most reasonable results, and then go in and do some editing on ratings (endurance being the easiest) before starting play. In fact, I suppose one should be prepared to do that sort of editing at beginning of every season for new players coming into the league.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote