View Single Post
Old 06-06-2013, 01:21 AM   #21
VanillaGorilla
All Star Starter

Continued

So, you could start your HOF after haaving done a historic replay through the 2012 season, and by using the magic that is ratio, wind up with an Inaugural Class of about 15. You could start a league, play 10 years (probably inducting active players, which were eligible in RL), and decide to begin to model your HOF on RL proportionality at with 1300 players in your books, you would have an Inaugural class of 1.

This is so awesome. If you have a 4 team league or a 40 team league having played 4 years or 400 years, and you can pull your starting class with this number.

The Inaugural class is pulled from the leaderboards, so the ammount of history doesn't matter and the number of players in the Inaugural Class, per se, doesn't matter....it's all proportionate.

Once the Inaugural Class is in, then you have the category score basis to bring in subsequent player in proportion to the number of players that entered in following years vs the number of players who have played the game and, Bingo, you have a HOF that will be in contextual cahoots with the one in Cooperstown.

I have also accounted for First Ballot Inductees that will not be tied to historical entries, themselves. However, a smidgens ammount of bookkeeping will keep the numbers in line....I will get to that in later posts when it becomes applicable.

For my basis of previous HOF I used 209 RL players that were inducted based on their play at the ML without consideration (imo) for executive duties or color barrier consideration. This same number is in use here.

145 of these players I have classified as hitters and 64 as pitchers. In previous run throughs, I kept the batter/pitcher entries in proportion to a corresponding year. Here, I will use the proportion of the 209 h/p numbers to seed random generation of hitter/pitcher entries.

I roll a 209 sided die 4 times. If the number is 1-64, a pitcher enters. If the number is 65-209, a hitter enters.

For the first class, 3 hitters and 1 pitcher enter.

All of the previous use of the Ink and HOFm and HOFs numbers will be carried out in the same manner as they were in the other threads.

In 1937, four players entered the HOF as players. 101 players made their debut in 1936. These 101 players (minus the 5 that were inducted in 1936) are added to the total number of players that have played throughout history for a number of 6712.

6712/4=1678.

So, if I have 150 players make their debut in 2035, I add them (minus the four inductees) and get a number of 5669.

I roll the 1678 sided die 5669 times to see how many entrants I get (considering FB induction entrants, to be explained later). I expect to get about 3 rolls of "1", but may be more, may be less...don't know till I throw.

Say I get 3 entrants. I again roll the 209 sided die, but this time I roll it three times, to determine the breakdown of hitters and pitchers. So, I can have different numbers of entrants per season, and a different length of league, and a different size of league and keep everything in proportion to real life.

Now...the REAL coooooool thing here is that no matter how the league expands or contracts over the course of time (affecting the number of players entering each year), by the time I run out of real players, I am going to have a number reeeeeeal close to 209 for my number of HOFers! THIS is EXACTLY what I wanted. And I force nothing....the numbers just do it all by themselves. I will have a HOF with around 200 entrants and a break down of hitters to pitchers in roughly a 2-to-1 ratio. YES!

Last edited by VanillaGorilla; 06-06-2013 at 01:25 AM.
VanillaGorilla is offline   Reply With Quote