View Single Post
Old 10-13-2018, 01:42 PM   #27
DFyvie
Major Leagues

Inaugural season closes with a win
4/16/1992 22:15 PST

With the buzzer sounding for the last time, San Jose closed the season out with a hard fought win over the Jets 4-3.

It wasn’t an easy year for the expansion team who went an abysmal 18-55-7 over the course of the 91-92 season. Abysmal, but not unexpected.

“We knew it would be a long, tough season.” Noted GM and Coach Dave Fyvie. “We tried to give the home fans the best we could give them. It was nice finishing the year on a high.”

One player in particular, was happy with the result. Sovak star Peter Stastny registered his 700th assist on the night. “I don’t know about the other guys, but I had a fun year. When you get a bit older, you realise every game you play is a blessing. Win, lose or draw, you have to have fun and make the most of it.”

Stastny’s milestone assist came on the first goal of the game, setting up Petr Nedved’s 18th goal of the season. “I love playing with him.” Noted Czech winger Nedved. “When I came over here from the Canucks, he was there for me. When you meet your idol and he turns out to be your friend - it’s wonderful.”

Nedved finished the year with decent numbers. After registering just 9 points in 33 games with Vancouver, the 20yr old exploded with 15 goals and 24 points in 47 games with the Sharks. “I got the ice time. That was the difference.” Noted Nedved.

Another Shark that took advantage of his new role was former Canadiens centre Stephen Lebeau, who led the team with an astonishing 26 goals 75 point season in just 76 games. “I had fun this year. I just wished we could’ve won more.” Said the French Canadian.

He was one part of a top pair that did a lot of damage for San Jose. Stephane Richer, who came in second in team scoring, had a solid year himself. “It was good for me, yeah.” Said the right winger. His 35 goals and 71 points could be noted as a come-back year after his disappointing ’90/91 campaign where he only registered 34 points in 68 games. “To come back and produce at the level I am accustomed to was a big plus. Playing with (Lebeau) made it possible. He’s a spark plug.”

With the season over, GM Fyvie’s focus will turn on contracts, rosters, and preparing for another 2 expansion teams and the 1992 NHL entry draft.

“The front office will get together and talk about what worked for us, and what didn’t. Do we get younger, older, bigger or faster?” One of the top priorities for the Sharks will have to be keeping the puck out of the net. “I think shot suppression will be the focus this summer. Whether we address it as simply looking at our goaltending situation, or it it becomes more of a 3 zone, 4 lines, puck control set-up.. I don’t know yet.”
DFyvie is offline   Reply With Quote