View Single Post
Old 03-31-2017, 05:54 PM   #5
FatJack
All Star Reserve

Ruben Amaro, Sr. (1936 - 2017)

Ruben Amaro, Sr., a baseball lifer most remembered for his years with the Phillies, but whose career in baseball spans across 7 decades, passed away on Friday (March 31, 2017) at the age of 81.

Born in Mexico, Ruben's father, Santos, was a power hitting baseball player in Cuba and was inducted into both the Cuban and Mexican Halls of Fame. It's likely his skin color kept him from a career in the states. Ruben's mother, Josephina, was on Mexico's national women's baseball team. Ruben Jr., I'm sure everyone knows, played parts of 8 major league seasons and, in 2008, was named Phillies GM. And did I see him as a Red Sox coach last year? Dang, I feel old.

Ruben signed with the St. Louis Cardinals in 1954 after having starred for Mexico in national and international competition. Ruben reached the majors with St. Louis in 1958, becoming just the 12th Mexican born player in major league history. He was issued a uniform that was at least a couple of sizes too large, which he wore until Stan Musial demanded they issue Ruben a uniform that fit.

In December 1958, Ruben was traded to Philadelphia. Of his decades in baseball, 30 of those years were spent working for the Phillies in one capacity or another. 6 of his 11 years playing in the majors were with them. Ruben had been a top quality hitter in Mexico, but it was his defense that major league teams prized. Ruben won a Gold Glove in the infamous 1964 season, and even got some consideration in MVP balloting that year.

He spent 1966-1968 with the Yankees, and 1969 with the Angels. In 1970, he resigned with Philadelphia. He played for the top farm club most of the year, but he was actually back because the organization felt Ruben was exceptional manager material. Before the '70 season was done, he was serving as player/coach. In 1971, he did the same with 2 other clubs in the organization.

The Phillies planned to give Ruben a minor league skipper's job in 1972, but Ruben thought it was too soon. Instead, Ruben learned the craft in winter ball, while also serving as the Caribbean scout for the Phillies. He managed the Auburn Phillies in 1977. He coached for the major league club in 1980 and '81. The World Series that eluded him as a player would not elude him as a coach. Later, he followed Dallas Green to the Cubs, where he also coached and scouted.

Ruben would pass through the organizations of the Tigers, White Sox and Astros, but he always came back to the Phillies. "I never wanted to leave the Phillies -- never," he said. In 2009, Ruben told the Philadelphia Inquirer, "I have a 'P' in the middle of my chest. I touched Richie Ashburn. I played behind Robin Roberts and Jim Bunning. I knew Steve Carlton and Mike Schmidt. Was there at the beginnings of Ryan Howard and Jimmy Rollins. I would very much like to be buried with the Phillies uniform."

For a more in-depth look at Ruben's career, you can't beat those SABR biographies. Just sayin'.

Image wise, there seem to be plenty of Rubens around...especially with the Phillies.

My Vault list, which is not necessarily complete, shows 4 Rubens...

GQ 759 ('58 Cardinals)
GQ 758 ('68 Yankees)
KE 173-174 ('69 Angels...both capless)

Easily the best Yankees image you're likely to see is the '68 Dexter image shared here by Merkle.

Braves70 posted a Cardinals image here.

Earlier Amaro posts on OOTP tend to be on the smallish side (game appropriate, I'm sure).

The B&W Phillies image at the start, here, accompanied Ruben's obit at Philly.com (from the Inquirer), where there are several good images; I just really liked the smile on that one.The Phillies, Yankees and Cubs images below are current eBay offerings. The B&W California Angels image is taken from Pinterest, though the original source appears to be Amazon (possibly from a book).
Attached Images
Image Image Image Image Image 
FatJack is offline   Reply With Quote