View Single Post
Old 12-03-2019, 03:42 PM   #68
QuantaCondor
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemandria View Post
But you're essentially making the case for tankers.

Collections = lost income = lost time, PP spent on 'useless' players required simply to fulfill a collection requirement. Anyone played Scott McGregor in a lineup lately?

So the only way to build a viable team (actually many ways, but they all require the same currency) is lots and lots of time, check. Agreed.

But we've circled back around to 'why is tanking wrong.' All they're doing is exchanging massive time equity for earning PP efficiently.
I think you're almost certainly overestimating the actual time investment required to complete collections at a decent rate. Certainly if you check more frequently it speeds up, but lots of good collections can be turned around almost immediately, especially in today's market. People just don't think to do it, or don't have the necessary PP to do it. I think if I checked up on collections once or twice a day, rather than the several times a day I do now, I probably would be doing them slower but it would still be pretty dang effective and would still be the best PP generation strategy by a mile.

Also, sure there are a lot of players you buy in collections that you'll never use, but you don't need to care about those. A proper strategy is to do collections where locked players actually end up being usable. How about gold Ichiro, 98 Yaz, 94 Cy Young, 96 Hoffman, 89 Eckersley, 89 Rollie (or alternatively diamond Rollie), 96 Sheets, 93 Schoendienst, 87 Boggs, 89 Cronin, 80 Piersall or 87 Carew? Any of those sound usable to you?

That said, the main statement about "use collections" I'm trying to communicate is that a player can't rely solely on achievement PP to propel them through to a Perfect title. They can certainly get to Perfect by using that achievement PP only like Carraway did, but once you get there, if you don't have another strategy for how you're using your PP aside from "buy an upgrade when it becomes available", then you just will never be competitive. And you shouldn't be able to, in any case; there are hundreds, maybe thousands of others just like you who did the same exact thing. Why should your meager amount of PP be worth more than theirs?

I also am not advocating tanking; tanking is clearly wrong. I think we're all in agreement on that one. There *are* strategies that generate more achievement PP than others, namely the "upgrade bats first, pitching last" approach. And that's okay; it's okay to have some strategies that are better than others. But that's different than willful, repeated tanking. And there are easy ways to detect and deal with it that don't fundamentally alter the economy. Plus, if any tanker truly becomes competitive, it's pretty easy to look at their seasonal history and identify them. I think a lot of tankers do it just because they like beating up on bad competition more than anything, which is the more important issue to resolve than worrying about their effects on higher levels where most of the active players are.

F2P + restrictions. First F2P winner of PT21 Perfect League

F2P + restrictions. New team -> PT title in 8 weeks
QuantaCondor is offline   Reply With Quote