View Single Post
Old 01-23-2019, 11:05 AM   #2
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

potential should remain the same without any TCR effecets -- talent change randomness setting. does what it sounds like and has a "dial," if interested.

even so, it can change over time, too. aging/tcr etc...wahtever other effect that might be in existence but not mentione din manual etc etc...

if you see it very often and typically when they reach majors, more likely scouting inaccuracy being corrected. younger they are and the less time in your system or even just time in someone else's MiL system, affects accuracy of what you see.

AI Eval will influence what you see too. if they do better than normally rated, their ratings will look better than they once did and vice versa. settings, also with some dials. when you see someone that's 80overall and 60potential, this is AI-Evaluation caused. (a setting can hide differences in ovr/pot, maybe? so again, check settings, refer to manual if different than what i say - i'm assuming default mostly)

things definitely become more clear in the majors, so a little shift can definitely occur due to scouting inaccuracy in a persistent and frequent way.

while overall is correlated to success, it is not 100% indicative of it. stop using overall to make a decision on any player personnell. either thay have the stuff/move/cont to be successful or they don't. whatever you do, don't base it on overall. batting is easier than pitching to predict. fewer variables to deal with -- pitch selection, stuff per pitch, gb% etc etc...

a pitcher can look similar to another via Ovr, but be drastically different on the field. it can be learned.

calling up too early might be a bad thing? from the manual, MLB has the best development rate, whatever that means... I look at it this way, which may or may not be correct: each level has a "soft cap" as far as how well and far the guy develops. it does not 100% prevent them from developing over that cap -- otherwise the AI would be wrecking careers left and right. plenty of guys can develop even in Rookie, if buried, from experience. it's just a reduced and less efficient path.

can bringing them up early stunt development? maybe... i wouldn't bring up a guy with sub-50/100 contact very often. i will often promote someone before their Power develops, of course. the player they are replacing can delay things beyond what i typically prefer too -- so i have rules i follow but they bend in this context. if they are ~80% devleoped and HoF quality, i am VERY hesitant to send them back for "1" more year. i prefer they develop 7-8-9 in lineup or back of pen for releivers, 5th starter for SP -- but some SP go to pen if 3rd pitch isn't devloped... etc etc it gets complicated but all dictated by basic logic and need at the time.

as far as simulating or playing a game -- the same odds are played out as long as you make the same decisions etc... obviously you'll deviate from what the AI chooses to do, but had the AI did you you would have, the same odds would have been applied. (new rng, so no idea if same result, but same odds of each possible result is best we can say for this context)

you can "cheat" by taking a pitch over and over and swinging on the X-2 count, lol.. sorry if i opened pandora's box... it has to do with the dynamics of how they determine outcome. basically the count is meaningless, because they only generate a random seed 1 time per AB in regards to hit/nohit and what results -- errors are seperate %/seed or something.

but, as long as you don't abuse the system of code behind the game, it will be the same result as clicking AB or allowing AI to play out game -- each decisions made will have the same %'s of various outcomes, regardless of you clicking or the AI.

you may want to play a season with 100% accuracy, just to get a baseline on ratings without any of the complicated stuff affecting it. you'll see how aging and TCR take place and a general idea on frequency. then, when you see it amplified as you turn scouting back on, it will be clear just how much of what you see is wrong due to scout, and when it is active, it can easily confuse you as to what the real cause was in the game for any change in ratings you see over time.

turning off TCR ("0") and AI -Evaluation set to 100% ratings might be a good idea for this little experiement, if you choose to try it. either turn them back on one at a time to learn them, or just 'get' the concept and start playing, doesn't matter.

Last edited by NoOne; 01-23-2019 at 11:08 AM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote