View Single Post
Old 01-28-2016, 01:14 PM   #42
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
Wondering what the 2 of you think? Do you think Random Debut drops enough quality starting pitching on a yearly basis? I'm finishing up year 34 of my league and I have 5 pitchers in my Hall. Kershaw, Curt Simmons, Curt Schilling, Phil Niekro and Paul Dillenger. Kershaw won exactly 300 games. Kershaw and Schilling reached the 3000 K milestone. Niekro is the only other pitcher with more than 250 wins. Michael Wacha may be in real soon. But, after Wacha, I'm thinking it might be years before another pitcher gets elected.
The Game may have a different answer because he uses Spritze for his MLBers, so he may see a different dispersal of SP. I currently have 4 SP in my Hall after 23 seasons worth of possible Hall voting: Ewell Blackwell, Don Drysdale, Zach Greinke, and Tim Hudson. In the next five years (looking at the upcoming eligible players), I hope to put in Michael Wacha, Lon Warneke, and Jim Bunning, so I should have 7 SP after 28 seasons.

My highest win total amongst the seven so far is Wacha at 258. Bunning has 239, Hudson 234, and Warneke 210. I'm learning that 300 wins is really hard when you're using 1984 as a stats and strategy settings base. Saberhagen has my most wins all-time at 278, but he is a shell of his former self and I don't see him making 285, much less 300. Blackwell had a really short career and was done at 33 with just 143 wins, but he had a monster peak, so I just couldn't leave him out. 57.4 WAR in his first 10 seasons is outstanding. Greinke only had 171 wins, and Drysdale had 173, but they were tremendous in short careers. Greinke's only lasted 13 years, but he was a nine time All-Star. The moral of the story is, it ain't all about the wins, at least not for me.

Incidentally Kershaw came out guns blazing in mine (3 straight Cy Young Awards [1901-1903], and an MVP [1901])and then crashed and burned, and didn't even win 100.

My position players in the Hall are Dick Allen (3B), Ken Caminiti (3B), Brian Dozier (surprisingly at SS), Paul Goldschmidt (1B), and Thurman Munson (C).
actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote