View Single Post
Old 08-01-2013, 11:07 AM   #96
VanillaGorilla
All Star Starter

Class of 2069, Part 2: Mincher, Burns

Fan favorite, Don Mincher, whom I traded per his request, which led to my firing, does indeed get into the HOF on his first ballot, having retired following the 2063 season.

An OOTP note: If your owner is rated "unmerciful", he is.

Don Mincher was the 6th player taken in the 2043 draft by the Columbus Prairie Thunder (the former Minnesota Twins).

In 8 seasons with the Thunder Mincher hit at least 48 HR 7 times. 7 times he had at least 109 RBI. 7 times he scored at least 100 runs. No wonder he was a fan favorite.

2048 was perhaps his finest season. He slashed 340/408/777 for a npa OPS+ of 203. He hit 73 HR and collected 164 RBI.

In 2050 he posted career highs in HR with 79, RBI with 187, and runs with 147, and won his second MVP.

Mincher left the Midwest for Miami prior to the 2052 season.

In 2053 he hit 61 HR and drove in 160. He won his third MVP and along with 44 year-old future HOFer Carlton Fisk (who batted .307 that year) led the Marlins to a WS win. Frank Castillo was 14-7 for that marlin team, also.

In 2054 Fisk had gone, but Mincher was still powering the Marlins through another post season and to another title. Mincher is the first player to be inducted from that squad.

Mincher enters the Hall 9th on the All Time HR list (one spot behind Orlando Cepeda) with 693 and 15th on the career RBI list with 1791 (one spot ahead of George Brett). He collected 2342 base hits (64th, one fewer than Rico Petrocelli and one more than Al Rosen) and scored 1494 times (26th, one spot behind Fred McGriff) while posting a career npa OPS+ of 148 from a 289/366/599 slash line.

Mincher ranks 35th on the career slugging list, placing between Willie Stargell and Jim Ray Hart. He enters the HOF ranking 43rd on the career OPS list.

An 8 time All Star, Mincher won two Gold Gloves at 1B. He is adjacent to classmate Johnny Mize on the alphabetical listing of HOF hitters (means nothing, but I like noticing these things).

Mincher gives his acceptance speech at the age of 48.

Black Ink: 59
Gray Ink: 161
HOFm: 376.5
HOFs: 52

Gorilla Composite: 6.9

----------------------------------

I know there are White Sox fans in the forum, and maybe a couple who follow this thread. Perhaps they are old enough to have seen Britt Burns pitch. Perhaps some are also young enough to have looked up to him as a young person's hero for their favorite team.

To me, it is exciting to see players that I liked when I was younger play in OOTP. To see someone who was a good player, IRL, but nowhere near a HOFer put together a HOF career here is really a kick. So, Southsiders, this one's for you.

If Jody Davis ever gets in, I will be singing Harry Caray's "Davey Crockett" Ode to Jode at the top of my lungs (and probably be taken away for 21 days after concerned neighbors phone the authorities).

Britt Burns was chosen by the Jacksonville Sonics (formerly the Dodgers) with the 16th overall pick in the 2035 drafHe last pitched in the NL in 2057 and retired in 2058.

Burns put together a career record of 233-232 with an ERA of 4.05 which makes for an ERA+ of 117.

There have been few pitchers entering the HOF in comparison to hitters, based on the expected rate. There have also been few big name pitcher coming into the league over the past couple decades. The rate of pitchers vs hitters has nothing to do with who comes into the league or how their careers rank according to the standards in use, here.

That said, Britt Burns is the the best pitcher eligible for entry at this time. This isn't a flukey number draw...er.....peculiar vote by the writers.

Britt Burns ranks 14th on the career VORP list. He is the 24th pitcher inducted. No pitcher eligible for induction rankins higher on the VORP list.

Burns ranks 16th on the WAR list. The only players ahead of him who are not in the Hall are still active. The model has been enshrining the strongest pitchers, and even with fewer pitchers than expected entered at this time, the career of Britt Burns is the best of those not already in.

Burns 233 wins is one fewer than CC Sabathia, and places him 15th on the career list. There is only one eligible player with more wins that is not already inducted.

Burns struck out 4174 men in his career, 13th most. Only one player has more strikeouts who is not already inducted.

Now with the Giants in 2050, Burns was 13-10 with an OOTP ERA of 3.84 (npa ERA+ 124) and 233 Ks in 220 1/3 IP vs 55 walks. He helped the Giants to WS victory, that year. He is the first player from that team to enter the HOF.

He left for Houston in 2054, signing a 2 year deal for $3.6 million per season. In 2055, at age 36, he went 19-9 and signed a two year deal that off-season for $12 million per season. Well played, Britt.

It's a good time to sign on as a starting pitcher with a new team when that team has a future HOFer who is about to set the league RBI record for a season. Gavvy Cravath powered the 2056 Marlins at the plate, and Burns notched 16 wins as the Marlins won the WS (lots of Marlin WS mentions).

Burns pitched out his contract in 2057, but he was fighting father time, and called it quits early in 2058 after posting a final yearly mark of 7-14, striking out only 79 men in 156 IP, having K'ed close to a man an inning just the year before.

A three time All Star, Burns enters the HOF at the age of 50.

Black Ink: 5
Gray Ink: 172
HOFm: 110.6
HOFs: 34

Gorilla Composite: 2.3

-------------------------------------

Britt Burns enters his first OOTP HOF.
Don Mincher enters his second OOTP HOF.
Ken Griffey Jr and Johnny Mize have been selected to all three OOTP HOF.

Johnny Mize is the 30th RL HOF, of 92 entrants.
VanillaGorilla is offline   Reply With Quote