View Single Post
Old 02-01-2013, 08:00 PM   #156
VanillaGorilla
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by XpertDBA View Post
How to you calculate each of the 4 numbers for every player? Dump their career stats into a spreadsheet and let the spreadsheet calculate the final stat?

The HOFs number is the only one you can do that way, with a simple career stat dump.

I have a bit of Rain Man in me. I scroll through the player page and tally the leader board placements in my head for the Ink numbers. That is quick work.

I do the others in my head, too, but use a calculator to do the fractional HOFm WS points. I then enter those results into a spreadsheet where the heavy lifting is done.

I have requested that Ink and HOFm/s be added to the stats page. There are some intricacies with some aspects of the HOF calcs that would be a bit of a pain for the developers to sort out, but the Ink numbers would be very simple coding (have to put in a qualifier to keep a pitcher from getting a Gray Ink point for being in the top 10 with 0 shut outs, the most common occurrence that a simple dump from the OOTP file would record errantly).

One advantage to doing it this way, for posting purposes, is that things will jump out at me as I am looking at the career results, and they become player notes for the posts, here. A common example is noticing the number of 200 hit seasons a player has. There is nothing in the stat bank that tracks this (if a player finishes 11th in the league in hits with 200, no note is made in the history). Also, it is obvious from tallying RBI/R points if a player has a string of seasons over 100. Again, these might not be recorded in the history page, if the player total is not a top 10 finish. The most common cause of this would be an interleague trade during the season.

Last edited by VanillaGorilla; 02-01-2013 at 08:05 PM.
VanillaGorilla is offline   Reply With Quote