View Single Post
Old 05-01-2010, 11:26 PM   #52
darkcloud4579
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanivr View Post
DC,

I have two questions for you. I apologize if I missed these being mentioned in the thread.

1) Do you have a good source of historical market data? I'm finding some good stuff about TV markets, and of course I can go on city population data, but I'm more interested in finding out something like: How many people lived in the New YorkCity/Nothern NJ/Long Island market in 1930? I'm extremely interested in using Accountant X and need some good historical market population data. I guess a question within this question. Do you have any idea, historically, how markets influenced attendance/media revenue? Like...maybe earlier in the century, it was mostly city folk that impacted team revenues rather than the surrounding market?

Basically, would city population data be reliable in Accountant X for pre-television years?

2) At what point in the season do you input the data from Excel into the game? Last day of season? First day of off-season? First Day of Pre-Season?

Thank you for any insight you have!
1. No, the tool was made specifically for modern baseball. It's pretty useless for years beyond that, though I did try to rig it using other inflation data for past years, it's really not a good tool for assuming media money in the "old days" because really, the money issues baseball experiences now are a relatively recent creation due to cable rights and such.

2. I'd input the data into the game at the end of the off-season before free agency.

Quote:
Also, as far as owner personalities go...

In my solo league now, I'm not currently managing a team, so FireManagerX and the "owner patience" value is something I'm not really thinking about, even though I realize the value can be used in the app for something...

But I certainly have been thinking about how the owner spending value can be integrated into Accountant X.

I've been working on something very similar to what you have created, although I'm still much happier with the results you're system comes up with.

Anyway, one thing that has been bugging me in OOTP11 is just how much the owner spending can impact the budget of a small market team. For example, I have a team in St. Paul. I think I gave them a "4" in market size. After 10 years though, the market size remained constant (which is great), but because the owner had a 10 under owner spending, they were the #2 payroll, above teams like New York (15 market size), Brooklyn (15), Chicago (12) and another Chicago team (12).

So, at least in my mind, what I did was add a modifier from (-0.05) to (0.04), with (-0.05) equaling a 1 owner spending value, (-0.04) equaling a 2, etc. etc.

That way, to make an easy example, the Yankees with their 200,000,000 payroll and a 10 owner spending value, would get an extra 8,000,000 in their budget. That seems reasonable to me. That way, the owner might reach into his pocket to outbid someone or extend a key free agent, but won't single-handedly inject enough cash to buy a whole infield's worth of superstar free agents. He'll need the market and attendance to be able to do that.

Just any idea for you to think about. You definitely know more about this than I do, so maybe I'm undervaluing the importance of owner spending?
Well, if the owner effectively tells a team he wants to spend, then they'll spend. Think of the owner as a corporate owner, say the CEO of a major firm that's writing off the losses (or the profits) from the team, rather than an owner who is the sole arbiter of whatever. In that instance, a team located in an otherwise small market, might be able to contend with big city teams.

If this offends your senses (and I think it might mine, depending on the scenario) then I'd just say go into the game and lower the owner's spending from where it is to something more befitting a tight fisted small market owner. In a way, how it's implemented in the game is good because I guess in theory it means we can control the spending of small market teams better. But it still requires too much tinkering and that's really where the problem is (and why we're all goofing around in an Excel spreadsheet to achieve realism. Heh) so...i dunno, that'd be the easier way to handle it and not to have to deal with it until that owner dies and just edit the new one(s) the same way.

Quote:
Heh..one more question now that I'm thinking about it and have the file open..

Cash and Budget...Why are they separate values? What changes in OOTP if, say, I had 100,000,000 budget and 10,000,000 cash, compared to 90,000,000 budget and 20,000,000 cash?
Budget is based on future revenues and enables you to spend up to a certain amount based on that, whereas cash is just useful for trades and such alike. The distinction is fine, though the way "budget" is used in the game probably isn't accurate. But if you have $100m in your budget, you won't have $100m in cash to spend on acquiring FAs or more importantly, to release players or eat contracts should you need to. That's the real distinction between budget and cash-on-hand.

I only have it that way in the tool, because it's that way in the game.
darkcloud4579 is offline   Reply With Quote