View Single Post
Old 04-14-2017, 09:43 AM   #53
rpriske
Hall Of Famer

May 9th, 1985

Today Darryl Banks is pitching for the Cubs. He is a rookie so I am not familiar with him. He doesn't look too tough, but you never know.

We have Terry Mulholland. Bigger prospect but so far their results are comparable.

Personally, I just want to get my home batting average above .200 and catch the Padres.

In the 1st Terry gave up a hit and a walk but I took Jody Davis' grounder to get the 3rd out with no damage done.

I led off the bottom half by grounding out to Ryne Sandberg at 2nd.

In the 2nd we ended the inning with an amazing Brenly - Priske - Deer double play (with me covering 3rd) to get Mel Hall and Banks he had tried for a sac bunt. Pretty nice.

In the 3rd I hooked up with Brenly again as I took his throw to gun down Bob Dernier trying to steal. Our defence was going pretty well but Sandberg singled between me and Kenny Oberkfell. No error but I think we should have reached it. Then Sandberg stole 2nd ON A PITCH OUT.

Thankfully we got out of that without anyone scoring.

I came up in the 3rd with two out and Kenny O on 2nd. I struck out. Why can't I hit at home?

I handled a Dernier grounder for the 1st out and a Gary Joins grounder of the 2nd out in the 5th.

In the bottom of the 6th I came up with one out and nobody on. I grounded out to Shawn Dunston at 3rd. 0 for 3.

In the 7th the Cubs scored on a wild pitch by Terry. Then they got two more off a double by Leon Durham. We trailed 3-0. Mark Davis relieved Terry M but he gave up another run.

4-0

In the 8th Davis gave up another run before I speared a liner by Dernier for the 1st out.

5-0

I came up in the 8th with Terry Harper on 1st and one out. Al Holland was pitching. (Do they call him Swamp Thing? They should.) I flew out to Mel Hall in left. 0 for 4.

Curt Brown pitched the 9th.

Bob Brenly hit s solo homer in the last frame. We lost 5-1.

I am happy with my defensive play today but I got goose egg at the plate and we lost. No celebrations here.

That's it for the Cubs. The Cardinals are in tow next. They are brining Dave LaPoint, who has pitched well but not gotten the wins to show for it. We have Atlee Hammaker, who is clearly our best pitcher these days.

I went 0 for 3 vs LaPoint when we faced him before. Hammaker shut out the Cards already this year. I like our chances.

````````````````````````````````````````

rpriske is offline   Reply With Quote