View Single Post
Old 07-31-2013, 11:21 AM   #28
mattb_222
Minors (Single A)

Interesting topic. I tried SO once and didn't find it my cup of tea.

As a dodger fan, I can think of a real-life example of how scouting ratings work pretty realistic in the OOTP world. Darren Dreifort is a classic example of a player who scouts would have rated 80 out of 80 or close to. (I don't play historical but would be interested to know what kind of ratings Dreifort gets in the game). Tony Gwynn once said he had the best stuff in the Major Leagues.

Injuries played a large part, but the fact is Dreifort never could put it all together on the ML level. He had his moments, but he failed as a starter and then wasn't much better as a reliever. Had expectations been lower, I'm sure many major leaguers would have been happy with his career, but because he was "rated so highly" he's looked at as a letdown.

So, when that guy with ratings through the roof never quite puts it together (Dreifort was drafted early in the 1st round btw) just think of Dreifort and others like him and realize gaudy scouting ratings aren't the be-all-end-all to player evaluation.

Every scout in the world can say the same thing about a guy and still be wrong. I think OOTP's scouting system does a good job of mimicking this in the game, and I find it more interesting and immersive when there are certain guys who just never quite live up to those ratings..

Last edited by mattb_222; 07-31-2013 at 11:42 AM.
mattb_222 is offline   Reply With Quote