View Single Post
Old 11-07-2019, 11:18 AM   #22
Hrycaj
All Star Starter

1928 Week #11

Boston @ Washington: June 19-21, 1928
Game one of the series against the Eagles featured a fantastic pitching performance by both Jack Holland of the Minutemen and Tommy Russel of Washington. Holland had a rough first inning giving up a two run homer but settled in nicely to go the distance. Russel only had an issue with Charlie Barry and Tom Tucker in the Boston lineup and was able to record a complete game shutout. This was a nice win for Washington as they have fallen hard in the FA standings. 3-0 Loss. (35-32)

Boston was able to bounce back nicely and even the series in game two against the Eagles. Dick Alexander while not great, was effective as he picked up his sixth win of the season. The Minutemen were able to hammer out 14 hits with six of them being of the extra base variety. CF Dick Copeland connected for his third homer of the season and upped his average to .306. Charlie Barry had two more hits and is now sitting at a team best .377 average. The Minutemen will look to take the series in the finale tomorrow. 6-4 Win. (36-32)

Boston did not get the pitching performance they were looking for out of Ernie Henderson. Henderson was hit hard and often and put the team in a tough position offensively. The Minutemen battled with a four run sixth but it would not be enough as they dropped the finale by a single run. 7-6 Loss. (36-33)

Boston @ Philadelphia: June 23-24, 1928
After a rainout to start the series the Minutemen took the extra day to get some rest and relaxation. Several players took in a show at the cinema while others took advantage of their free time by sleeping the afternoon away in the hotel. The game turned out to be a wild affair that had the teams needing extra innings to decide the outcome. Down 3-2 in the 5th the Minutemen benefitted from doubles by both Bob Scholer and Dick Copeland as they plated five in the frame. It was not enough however as Philadelphia put up a run in the bottom half of the 5th and two in the last half of the 9th to send it to extras. Joe Richards played the hero with a two out single to put the Minutemen up for good. The win gave Boston a 4-0 record in extra inning games this season. 7-6 Win. (37-33)

Bill Jenkins was bad in the series finale. There is some real concern in Boston that he may still be suffering some setbacks from his earlier injury. Jenkins would surrender seven earned runs on nine walks in just over five innings of work. A line like that is usually a guaranteed loss for the club. Fortunately for Jenkins his teammates put on an offensive explosion. Seven Boston batters put up double digit hit totals as the team combined for 19 hits and 14 RBI’s. That was more than enough to overcome the pitching issues from Jenkins. Charlie Barry hit his 8th homer of the year and is now sitting at .380 for the season. 14-9 Win. (38-33)

GM’s Desk: June 25th, 1928
I’m really happy with how we did on this road trip. We went 13-8 giving us a 22-14 record overall on the road. We are officially road warriors at this point! Which is good because after a quick four-game home stand we go back on the road for six. I am also very happy with our 10-3 record in one run games. This thing with Bill Jenkins is a bit worrisome. He has been pretty bad and I may have to move him to the pen unless he can figure it out. I also have a couple of AAA options that I could utilize. I really don’t want to have to demote Jenkins, but I can’t keep sending him out to get rocked either. Down on the farm I have some guys that I think are ready for promotion. I will hold off on all pitching promotions for one more week since those promotions may result in the organization having to release some players. These decisions will need to be made anyway within the next few weeks as we have a couple of guys set to get off the IL who have not yet pitched this season. As for the hitters second base seems to be a position of depth as I have an effective player at the FABL level in McLain a solid prospect at AAA in Carr and a solid player at AA in Hutchinson. I may have some tradable assets there. I also have some nice hitting outfield prospects in short and single A. This is another area that could see some movement after the month of June ends.
Attached Images

https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/showthread.php?t=326812
Hrycaj is offline   Reply With Quote