View Single Post
Old 07-28-2008, 05:24 PM   #58
lethal liberal
All Star Starter

Been reading the posts on here regularly and enjoy the back and forth and various ideas on ratings. I too,have played the game since my early teens in the late 70's and have rated fighters since then. I remember cutting out index cards to put my fighter ratings on and they had to be exact size of those included with the game so they would all fit neatly into the little box and could go with the rest of the division cards held tight by rubber band(yeah,sophisticated eh). I am a TBCB loyalist having played most of the other sims that have come and gone,I always stick with TBCB. As noted earlier in this thread,the close and loyal community here bring so much to the table in terms of adding to the game(mods,pics,ratings etc.). I think as far as realism,TBCB stacks up well against anyone. No sport is more unpredictable than boxing. I like the fact that a journeyman,if the stars align properly,can beat or stretch to the limit a top notch fighter...just like the real thing. How many times have we stood astonished as a huge underdog seemed to put it all together for one big fight(think Tyson/Douglas)? I think that to make a sim where Liston takes out Patterson every time would be defeating the purpose of the simulation. I think were Patterson and Liston to fight 10 times,surely Patterson would have had one or two performances that would have exceeded his early exit. Sorry for rambling,however,I just had to chime in on this discussion. I have enjoyed reading this thread and hearing the different ways of rating fighters. I also care about little things like what kind of punches land and such. It is very hard to get a "perfect" rating for any fighter but I think that the current ratings are close enough so that we can "tweak away" and get most of the ratings that we desire without a ton of adjustments. Well,enjoy the fights...in both the real and the sim world. Peace.

Coach of Left Jab Inc (You have to be great to be consistently mediocre)

Title Bout devotee since 79

The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have little.
FDR
lethal liberal is offline   Reply With Quote