View Single Post
Old 09-09-2019, 06:47 PM   #10
QuantaCondor
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazzycat View Post
Oh, definitely. I was mostly just trying to explain the basic gist of it. And of course you still have to play half your games on the road...going too extreme could hurt there. It's all a delicate balancing act.

If I had to venture a guess though, your "lefty killer" anti-meta strategy is probably much better suited to OL, compared to regular random leagues. In my experience in the random leagues, the teams have mostly neutral parks. They mostly just got there with good players without even touching park factors. OL is totally different in that respect, with most teams having an extreme park setup, as far as I can remember.
It got even more extreme after you left it, as well. Last season 11/30 teams were lefty teams, and I think that's a decrease from a couple weeks ago.

So, definitely, I do not recommend just plucking park settings from someone and assuming it will work. I think the big takeaway is that you really just need a coherent strategy to score runs and prevent runs. Anybody whose team is built well around a particular strategy seems to have success.

EDIT: Also, as an interesting note, we recently had an OL team which got misplaced into a generic Perfect League after promotion from Diamond. That team made the playoffs in their random Perfect league. Then, upon re-entry to the Perfect OL League, they went 60-102 (or something like that) and were instantly demoted back to Diamond. I don't think the rostered players in OL are anywhere near the quality of an average random playoff team in Perfect, but nearly every regular player in Perfect OL has a refined strategy. It just goes to show that, except for some obvious extreme cases, park factors are much more important than player quality. Even the lone Perfect Big Walt that is in the league hasn't had the ERA crown in 4 years.

F2P + restrictions. First F2P winner of PT21 Perfect League

F2P + restrictions. New team -> PT title in 8 weeks

Last edited by QuantaCondor; 09-09-2019 at 06:54 PM.
QuantaCondor is offline   Reply With Quote