View Single Post
Old 11-12-2015, 09:30 AM   #28
Fishbreath
Minors (Double A)

Last night, I did a little work which moves some complexity around.

Before, I was representing the slots in which a team is free to play with a start day and a length, for every day on which a team is free to play. For instance, a slot of length 5 starting on D1 is also a slot of length 4 starting on D2, 3/D3, 2/D4, and 1/D5. This made it easy to decide whether teams had free slots in common, but difficult to compare entire schedules for multiple teams, because every top-level free slot was also (slot_length - 1) other slots. When you're sorting opponents based on the free slots they have with their opponents, the number of comparisons blows up really fast.

I've changed it to simply track the top-level slot. I have a little more work to do to make placing games in large slots work correctly, but that part is almost ready, and frees me to try a few things to make the placing of games work better. Ideally, I'll avoid having to look at each opponent pool and figure out which teams need to be left out at which step, instead capturing that requirement through emergent behavior, but we'll see.

As for a timeframe for finishing the new model altogether, your hometown Elsdorf Argonauts are 20% of the way through their fourth season in my fictional league. I'm planning to expand the league no later than the 8th season, and I'll need the generator done by then.
Fishbreath is offline   Reply With Quote