View Single Post
Old 02-25-2012, 02:55 PM   #53
Syd Thrift
Hall Of Famer

Run the program, and then click on the "New" option in the toolbar. It'll ask you to load a fighters.csv file from TBCB. It should verify the number of boxers entered into things at that point. Then you'll want to change the date and year to whatever start date and year you want to set, then click Save As to save your universe.

Although the game should work just fine otherwise, you probably want to make sure all your boxers are at Beginning stage at the start of this. Use the Career Stage Adj tool in TBCB to make the game generate pseudo-ratings for dudes. And then I'd also turn on Auto-Aging. The program, again, doesn't care if you bring in a bunch of guys to fight in their Prime and who never move on to Post-Prime or end their careers, but you might care...

From there, just click on the Choose Matches button, which will run a check on all the boxers in your uni to see if they want to fight this month (my experience is that somewhere around 60% generally want to box at first). If the program generates an odd number of boxers, it'll ask you to create a new boxer and then re-export the list.* Then the program will take you to a screen which will give you a few different sort methods (explained above) as well as the top 5 boxers for each sort. To start out, I recommend using TOMATO_CAN, as this should randomly sort all the beginning-stage fighters for you (once you start to get non-beginners in your profile, this will return the 5 boxers with the lowest BRR in your uni; however, by the time that happens you should only have a few beginners to choose fights with).

From there, the program should take you back to the initial screen, where you push the button to enter the fight results. I think I might have accidentally left the save/new/load toolbar enabled here. DON'T USE THAT. Anyway, the next screen, unfortunately, is a bit laborious. I'm going to try to make it so that you can have the game create its html file about the fight card in question and then read that file, but for now you'll have to enter in the number of rounds, the result of the fight, who won (the "Won? check box should be checked if the first fighter won, and not checked if the second one won or the match ended in a draw) and whether or not each boxer was cut and/or knocked down.

From *there*, the program determines new BoxRec ratings for each fighter (please note that a 0-0 fighter fighting another 0-0 guy will not produce any BRRs; this is how BoxRec ratings work**) and then does its behind-the-scenes work to get to the next month. And then you should be able to save your uni at this point, or keep running months.

*I've noticed that TBCB doesn't like it when you export a fighters.csv, then have my program use that file, and then re-export the file using the same name. I'm about positive that this is an issue on the part of TBCB, not my program; nonetheless, all you have to do to work around this is call your new export file "fighters2.csv" or something similar.

**For more info about this, please take a look at their website boxrec.com, then go to the encyclopedia.
The Great American Baseball Thrift Book - Like reading the Sporting News from back in the day, only with fake players. REAL LIFE DRAMA THOUGH maybe not
Syd Thrift is offline   Reply With Quote