View Single Post
Old 08-25-2019, 02:23 PM   #37
RonCo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConStar View Post
I just feel like we're getting incomplete pictures of our pitchers here. Or we're getting summary results that already tell us what the stats are telling us. It's enough to make me want to play with scouting turned off, but I still need scouting to inform me about my low minors.
I agree with and understand all your points. If Fiason's ratings were:

Strikeouts: 20/20
Avoid HR: 6/6
Avoid BB: 10/12
Velocity: 95-97

Fastball: 20/20
Curveball: 17/17

Things might make a little more sense in that you've seen guys who strike out a lot of guys, but have homer problems. You would probably have different sets of questions, though. At the end of the day, my point here is that regardless of whether the pitch model is good, bad, or indifferent, if OOTP moved away from labels that essentially serve to obscure things in ways that get people tied up into logic knots the game would actually be communicating what's happening (like your comment about how a guy can have an elite fastball and a nearly elite curve ball and crappy movement--those two things are in absolute disagreement and that disagreement influences the enjoyment of people who care about such things).

Your feeling on scouts/stats is, in my opinion, one shared by a lot of folks. And, yes, you can use stats to manage your minor leagues just fine as long as you read sample size issues well enough. To be direct, as long as you're using lower resolution rating systems (2-8, 1-10, 1-5, and even really 20-80), the disparity in performance between ratings bars is essentially more than enough fog of war to make the game fun ... for me anyway.

I haven't played in a league with scouts on for years, and I'm far happier for it. Again, though, that's just my view.

Last edited by RonCo; 08-25-2019 at 02:36 PM.
RonCo is offline   Reply With Quote