View Single Post
Old 08-23-2019, 03:23 PM   #31
RonCo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syd Thrift View Post
I think of Movement in the OOTP context as "ability to keep the ball down in the strike zone", coupled with "ability to hit the corners, above and beyond the ability to avoid walks". Movement doesn't *exactly* map straight HR rate. I think it's more HR/FB, which means that GB% can be a big factor (although I believe that a guy with a low Movement but, say, a 65% GB rate will still give up more HRs than a guy with an average Movement and a 55% rate).
I think the "Movement" you see in the profile does map directly into HR/AB. It is, however, an amalgam of the pitcher's core movement rating adjusted by both GB% and whatever repertoire differences come into play.

I like your view of what movement is, but I doubt many people would come to that idea on their own, and at the end of the day that's not really right--which is the point of the conversation, really. The labels the game uses are baseball-like, but not really right. Ability to put the ball on the corners where you want them is, I think, almost universally thought of as command rather than movement. Vertical/horizontal location is, well, vertical and horizontal location. In modern baseball, pitching up in the zone (I think) is one way to attempt to limit homers, and sinkers are lower value pitches.

I think it's fair to say that the term Movement would make almost every person on the planet think about vertical and horizontal break, which then perhaps in today's world goes to spin rate.

None of that says "HR-rate," which is what OOTP is using the term to represent on the pitcher's profile page.
RonCo is offline   Reply With Quote