View Single Post
Old 08-22-2019, 12:57 PM   #26
NotMuchTime
Minors (Double A)

I've never given this much thought. I always ignored the terms and correlated the ratings with strikeouts, home runs and walks. It's a computer game.

That said, we all may have different opinions on what 'stuff' means. To me, there is little to no difference between 'stuff' and 'movement'. And 'stuff' isn't necessarily based on velocity as there are some nasty pitchers that don't rely on velocity (not to mention knuckleballers). To me, stuff is the ability to get swings and misses. This can be by velocity and/or movement. I suppose the game could have been designed to use velocity, movement and control as the three ratings. From what I can tell, OOTP uses the ratings in a 1 to 1 fashion and that's OK as long as you don't get caught up in the terms 'stuff' and 'movement'.

If I wrote a game, I'd use velocity, movement and control (for each pitch type). You can be struck out by velocity or movement, that's no mystery.

I'd also use 'percentages' for depth charts. Instead of 'every 4th game', I'd use 25%. The code wouldn't have to jump through hoops and over a long stretch, the 25% would work itself out.
NotMuchTime is offline   Reply With Quote