View Single Post
Old 02-25-2018, 11:50 AM   #75
Sweed
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradS View Post
DAMN. I've played FOF. Very much wanted this to be an OOTP product 100%. It really must be an all-encompassing venture to produce a good football sim. Wolverine gave up too and brought in an existing game. Never really liked FOF game planning. It really needs a revamp. Was looking forward to a fresh approach to American Football. Basicly same game with an OOTP wrapper...SIGH. Just have to wait and see.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweed View Post
Have you played the latest version, FOF 8? Game planning went through a major change.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradS View Post
Yes tried it. FOF is so slanted to the GM side of football. From a coaches point of view, there is a lot to be desired. OOTP Baseball has the perfect balance between a GM and a day to day manager. So much has to be done to bring this to OOTP standards. Are we going to have storylines first addition? Again, much to be done before we have OOTP Football. May never have it now.
We'll have to agree to disagree on game planning in f0f8 compared to all earlier versions. The new way allows you to build a whole playbook (with the ability to even design your own plays)and use it much like a real coordinator. The offensive side, IMHO and in most other opinions I've read, is much better than the defensive side. But it's a first version of a new module and coming to OOTP Dev. should lead improvements.

Before fof 8 I would agree with your "slanted to the GM side of football" but with the new game planning and all of it's options. That's simply no longer true as you can now be the ultimate coach and build your own system (again offense is way ahead of defense) with play design, designation of primary options, packages, down & distance, etc. etc. For OOTP to have this amount of coaching detail it would have to let you be a hitting coach and tell the player to "close his front foot and bring his hands down 2 inches". IMHO OOTP doesn't need this type of detail but for a football game it is almost essential to those that want a real life experience. Hopefully over time AI coaches will be able to "help" us in building a book using guidelines we suggest. This becomes a more realistic possibility with the merger.

I agree it will take some time to get to OOTP standards that took 20 years to achieve. Those that think everything in OOTP will instantly appear in fof will be disappointed IMHO (though of course I don't know for sure).

FOF is a brilliant game that delivers on the numbers side. It doesn't allow much customization, bells, or whistles but these will come, in time, with the merger, I think. It lacks a shiny interface that allows one to smoothly navigate the game. FOF 8 being a part of OOTP is going to get much needed polish and more important yearly(?) versions to keep building on.

No longer is it a once every 3-4 year release with virtually the same GUI with "only" under the hood improvements. This is a great thing for both Jim Gindin and OOTP Dev. Not building the game from scratch but instead having an engine that's been proven for 20 years is a huge head start to finally having the football game we've only dreamed of.

I envision a very solid first release with the OOTP gui touch being the biggest improvement. Some will complain it doesn't do this, or it doesn't do that but it's in OOTP. Getting all of those things in will take time. What will make it in and what won't we can all speculate about until the cows come home. What we know is we have proven, dedicated, and talented developers on this project and the sky is the limit if people buy and support the game.