View Single Post
Old 05-19-2016, 11:03 AM   #25
Rosco Peabody
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwarner View Post
Thanks for all the feedback Michael.

One thing about mock drafts though: they're a great way of understanding the general consensus on where a player will probably be drafted. I can set up my own board, but when it comes down to it I might choose guys based on whether I think they'll go soon or might go later. For example, if I have a highly rated guy on my board that's available in the 4th round but most mocks put him in the 6th, I might choose someone else this round and snag him in the 5th.

Does that make sense? It's certainly not a deal breaker, but I think it adds some interest and strategy to the draft and can make for some interesting emergent stories like Aaron Rodgers (or Laremy Tunsil, haha).

That's the point. You're not supposed to know where a guy will go. You have to just get a sense for how valuable YOU think he is, and hope it works out. If you knew exactly where every guy would be drafted, then it would take away from the skill of drafting.

The only thing that MIGHT be a consideration is giving a guy a talent range (and even that's a big if). For instance, labeling a guy a 2nd/3rd round talent who might be snagged in the 1st or 4th might not be awful, but even so, that's too specific. I love the idea of having no clue who will be great, like Michael's "fog of war" idea.