View Single Post
Old 03-16-2014, 03:38 AM   #17
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas718 View Post
What I'm saying is when the game creates a player, it creates a stats baseline for him. Open any player and click on the editor tab and you'll see the stats line which will give you an idea of what to expect from a player in a given year discounting things like park effects, aging, and any of the other modifiers.

My opinion, based on what I've seen, is that if a player has a year that significantly deviates from that stats baseline, then you can expect a statistical correction to follow that will bring him back closer to those baseline stats.

I haven't examined this too closely to say for sure this is what is going on, but it seems to explain what I've seen. I did just look at a newly created international free agent that my scout just emailed me about. He's only 16, so his baseline stats are incredibly low - so maybe these numbers change over time. Again, I haven't really examined it that closely.
The development engine makes this "baseline" variable. It's not a yearly thing. I'd say the ratings make the "baseline", not the other way around. Ratings are relative not absolute. A 19 year old prospect will not carry the same ratings/baseline as the future 28 year old 3 time MVP version of himself. So as a player gets rating boosts and hits the stats baseline will change even within a season.

The point is; there is no built in "career" adjustment. A player who consistently over or under achieves will show ratings changes consistent with his performance. I see it as the beating heart of OOTP. A very realistic player development, plateau and decline.

RichW

#stopthestupid

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote