View Single Post
Old 09-23-2019, 11:34 PM   #92
The_Myth
Minors (Double A)

Since we're back in Philadelphia, I wanted to get the press corps together for a pre-opening-day press conference. It's 3 p.m., and members of the Philadelphia and national sports media have assembled to find out more about the 1985 Phillies.

GM: Afternoon everyone. Thanks for coming. Since we're a day from opening day, I wanted to just kind of put a bow on things and begin our regular season trek. So I'll open the floor to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frithy View Post
How do you think the team will handle the possible pressure of being "hyped" as a potential 93-win team?
GM: The great thing about this group is that it's a pretty diverse set, in terms of where they are in their individual evolutions as professionals.

We have rookies and near-rookies here, but then we have a whole host of guys who've played on pennant winners, world championship clubs, guys who've been around the block. We added Molitor, who was in the Series back in '82; UL, who's been there with KC; Sanderson was in the playoffs with Montreal; and Donnie Moore got there a couple years back with Atlanta. Then you add Dick to that ... he's been in the clubhouse, in the dugout, with those '78 Yankees, a couple playoff berths ... that alone, we're talking about experience being in contention, handling hype.

And they come in where there's Mike and Lefty, Denny, Tugger, even Von and Darren were there in '83. So I think the guys get it. They know every year is another chance, and hype may come with that. But these are even-keel, loose guys. And Dick has them under control pretty well. So I think they'll handle any expectation just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by progen View Post
Coming out of spring training, relating to the players, were there any surprises that you weren't expecting when spring training started?
GM: If we're talking surprises with a capital "S," I'd say Bruce Fields really showed us something this spring. In games he was locked in, taking pitches, connecting with some liners. He wants it, and that's a reason we acquired him last deadline. He really wants to play and win.

And just to note, Glenn Wilson really stepped up. We're optimistic about him turning into a necessary run producer, someone who can back up Mike and the top of the order. He has real pop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayson Stark, Philadelphia Inquirer
The bullpen was pretty good last season, but without a true fireball ace in the back end. How confident are you going forward with Bill Campbell and possibly Larry Andersen?
GM: I suppose if we weren't confident we would've had someone else back there.

But seriously it's a strong group. No, we don't have anyone named Goose on this staff, but we have enough strong arms and if we need to add, we'll add. But ultimately I'm a proponent of having depth in relief options, finding what works, sticking with the hot hand. And we have a great young corps with Carman and Walker. We got Assenmacher and Worrell, Cary, Best, those guys in triple-A. Hopefully a fireballer emerges there. That's the goal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by progen View Post
What was the hardest decision you had to make when it came to who made the ball club, and who had to be sent down?
GM: They're all hard decisions, even the early ones, since you're telling a kid who's getting his first taste to head down and let that taste stay on the tip of his tongue so he wants to get back here as soon as possible.

But to say hardest ... of course, Stoney is someone we really battled about. He deserves a spot up here, but he needs regular playing time, and we're betting on Glenn-bo to deliver. Steggy's locked in at center, Von obviously in left. We'll see, but that was a hard one. Kid can play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Lyon, Philadelphia Inquirer
To you, who's the X-factor this year? Who's the guy who determines whether this is a playoff club?
GM: I don't know if one guy does that, Bill. If we're talking who's capable of moving the needle most, that's Mike. And he'd be the first to tell you he was unhappy with the campaign, that it wasn't anywhere near his ability, and yet he was still pretty good.

So is Mike the X-factor? I don't think so. I don't think a ballclub can have an X-factor. Maybe in basketball, but not here. Mike with his usual MVP-like season? That could move the needle for us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frithy View Post
How do you feel about the team defensively? Especially the right side of the infield with Schmidt at first base and Samuel at second.
GM: Overall I think we'll be improved. UL is a solid shortstop; he'll make his errors, but he can get to the ball and make the tough plays. I really believe in Von improving in left, and a full year of Steggy helps.

With respect to the right side, Matsuzek was a solid defender at first, but Mike can hack it anywhere. He's a pro, he wants to be great everywhere, and I wouldn't be surprised if there's no fall-off there. And another year will only help Sammy. So I wouldn't say we're eight Ozzie Smiths out there behind the pitcher, but it's better than last year I think. We're getting there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Wulf, Sports Illustrated
Speaking of Mike, can you elaborate on the dynamic between him and Paul Molitor?
GM: Big brother, kid brother. Both very similar in their desire to win and be the best. They're competitive - I know there have already been a couple Better Ball battles. Honestly, when we told Mike we were interested in Paul, he immediately signed onto it. He knew what it meant for him positionially, but he signed on right away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by splat58 View Post
Do you plan to look for an upgrade in center field during the season?
GM: If we're contending and a position is suffering, yeah, I'll probably be on the lookout for improvements. But Steggy is mostly there for defense, holding that part down and batting deep in the order. If we're at a point where the offense is really poor, and the defense isn't so great that it renders the offense unnecessary, I think we could be looking for a guy with some pop. But again, that's if we're contending. We have boys in Portland ready to make some noise, so we'll be watching all of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayson Stark, Philadelphia Inquirer
Do you think this is a 93-win team this season?
GM: Heh. I think we're better than last season, and I truly feel that last season, we were a better team than even the final record. So does that make us an 85, 90 win team? Does that put us over 90? I'm not sure.

But we're better. Good starting pitching, lots of depth in the bullpen, and in my opinion, a pretty solid offense. The division is good, and I imagine half the teams at least will be in it on September 1. Our goal is to be one of those three teams, and I think we got a better than 50 percent shot at it.

Alright, thank you everyone.
The_Myth is offline   Reply With Quote