View Single Post
Old 09-16-2019, 11:19 PM   #84
The_Myth
Minors (Double A)

March 17, 1985

Game 1985-ST-13: Jack Russell Stadium - Astros 4, Phillies 2 / 5-8

Our annual St. Patrick’s Day Game is a blown win. Jeff Stone with two hits a steal and Von Hayes with a homer, but Rip Rollins and Pete Falcone do us dirty. Stone is up to .360 now and might have to be considered for a more prominent role in Philadelphia.

Also, RP Chuck Cary was severely burned by hot water at his spring training apartment. Don’t want to know. He’s out for a week, and his chances at making the 25-man are compromised.

March 18, 1985

Game 1985-ST-14: McKechnie Field - Pirates 4, Phillies 1 / 5-9

I forgot what losing felt like for a moment. Seriously, though, Karl Best has a poor outing, while Steve Jeltz collects two hits.

March 19, 1985

Game 1985-ST-15: Jack Russell Stadium - Phillies 9, Reds 4 / 6-9

A nice win, as we overcome a 3-0 deficit to take it. Scott Sanderson is not pitching too well (7 IP, 10.29 ERA), but hopefully he’ll settle in. Don Carman is having a great spring (3.2 IP, 0.00 ERA, 6 K, 0 BB). Bill Lyons hits two doubles in this game, and with two hits, Darren Daulton is up to … .077? Woof.

March 20, 1985

Game 1985-ST-16: West Palm Beach Municipal Stadium - Braves 5, Phillies 4 / 6-10

Steve Carlton allows five runs in the third inning. Otherwise, a nearly perfect game. Chris James goes 2-for-3.

March 21, 1985

Game 1985-ST-17: Jack Russell Stadium - Cardinals 7, Phillies 6 / 6-11

Jamie Easterly blows up in this one. Glenn Wilson hits his team-leading second homer; he’s now at .375/.375/.625, a good sign, I suppose.

March 22, 1985

Game 1985-ST-18: Payne Park - Giants 4, Phillies 2 / 6-12

Wouldn’t mind winning a game now. Mike Diaz hits his second homer, while Bill Campbell gives up two runs late. Sweet.

March 23, 1985

Game 1985-ST-19: Jack Russell Stadium - Mets 9, Phillies 2 / 6-13

It’s a Dwight Gooden game, so yeah. It also happens to be a Ben Hayes and Rich Gaynor game, so yeah. But Glenn Wilson homers again, so that’s nice.

March 24, 1985

Game 1985-ST-20: Payne Park - Padres 1, Phillies 0 / 6-14

Ah, the old spring training two-hitter. Not much else to say here.

March 25, 1985

Game 1985-ST-21: Jack Russell Stadium - Dodgers 4, Phillies 3 / 6-15

Orel Hershiser came into this game with a spring ERA over 7.00, and that went down here. Two hits for Bruce Fields in this one, and two hits for Steve Jeltz, as well.

March 26, 1985

Game 1985-ST-22: West Palm Beach Municipal Stadium - Expos 10, Phillies 2 / 6-16

Alright, at some point we have to win something. John Denny only goes two, giving up seven runs - not great, John. Three scoreless innings from Bob Long somehow lowers his ERA to just 7.94. Jeff Stone triple alert, and three hits from Von Hayes.

As for the roster, I haven’t sent anyone down to the minors yet (seemingly no team is doing this right now), but I’ve internally reassigned a bunch of players. We have five pitchers vying for one to two bullpen spots (Kenneth Walker, Todd Worrell, Paul Assenmacher, Karl Best, and Jamie Easterly), and we’re not quite sure about the bench, but we’re thinking Jeff Stone, Mike Diaz, and Tommy Thompson have locked up spots. There are two, maybe three spots still open, and we still have too many competitors.

March 27, 1985

Game 1985-ST-23: Jack Russell Stadium - Phillies 3, Cubs 2 / 7-16

Finally, a win! A good start by Charles Hudson, who looks ready for 1985 with one spring start to go. Glenn Wilson tripled; he’s hitting .308 this spring, maintaining his spot in our starting lineup, it seems.

Meantime, the Yankees propose to us a trade: CF Randy Salava for 2B Rex Hudler. Interesting offer. Hudler plays a variety of positions (2B, 3B, SS, RF) and has outstanding speed (70). The problem is Salava is really my only center fielder in AAA. Anyway, I don’t really need Hudler, as I have both Steve Kiefer and Greg Legg to fill the multi-position infielder role at that level.

March 28, 1985

Game 1985-ST-24: Osceola County Stadium - Phillies 3, Astros 1 / 8-16

Bill Campbell can’t seem to go an inning without surrendering a run, so that worries me a bit. Otherwise a good pitching effort, with Kenneth Walker putting himself in pole position for a bullpen spot (1.59 ERA). Juan Samuel collects two hits, and Paul Molitor and Jeff Stone each walk twice.

March 29, 1985

Cut day.

SP Tim Belcher reassigned to minor league camp
SP Joe Johnson reassigned to minor league camp
SP Mike Maddux reassigned to minor league camp
SP Curt Young reassigned to minor league camp
RP Bob Long reassigned to minor league camp
RP Rip Rollins reassigned to minor league camp
C Mike LaValliere reassigned to minor league camp
1B Francisco Melendez reassigned to minor league camp
3B Rick Schu reassigned to minor league camp
CF Luis Polonia reassigned to minor league camp

The Braves lose Terry Leach for the season, so I look into deals involving one of my extra relievers. Atlanta doesn’t want to give up much - forget it.
The_Myth is offline   Reply With Quote