View Single Post
Old 01-26-2019, 07:42 PM   #38
BirdWatcher
Hall Of Famer

Second season, first full season, in the books.

So, this will be my last report about Harry Lyerly in this thread.
You will find screenshots of his second season- his first full season as a big leaguer- below.
If anyone wishes to follow the rest of his career feel free to follow along here: http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...d.php?t=289570

I'm going to answer my original question (which was probably a bit more rhetorical then some people took it here.) The answer, I think, is that almost all rules have exceptions.

As you will see below, Lyerly followed up his impressive rookie campaign with a superb sophomore season. He essentially became the staff ace. He finished first in the league in strikeouts and K/9 (both easily) in K/BB and also in shutouts, tied for second in wins, was second in WHIP and opponents batting average, third best in FIP , rWAR, and complete games. He finished fourth in ERA, ERA+, WAR (among pitchers), and winning percentage. He had the sixth best quality starts total.

On the final day of the season, with the team 1 game ahead of the second place challenger and needing a win to guarantee a return trip to the World Series, Lyerly was called on to get it done. And get it done he did. He held the potent San Francisco Velocity offense to 3 hits, getting his 7th complete game shutout of the season, striking out 7 and walking 2.

His best game of the season came on September 14th, when he hurled a 3-hit shutout, striking out 14 (a feat he has now accomplished 5 times in his Brewers career- 5 more than any other Brewer pitcher has), while walking just 1. (The 94 game score this game earned was the 2nd best on the season in the WPK- the best being a 95 score no-hitter with 9 K's and only 1 walk.)
His worst game- the kind of game that so many thought might be the norm for him- came on June 23rd when he allowed 6 HR's in one game, including 2 by the opposing pitcher, while giving up 8 runs on 12 hits in only 4 innings pitched. But that was the anomaly, not the norm.

Overall, Lyerly was slightly better in HR/9 than his rookie season, quite a bit better in BB/9 and had a slightly lower K/9. His FIP and FIP- were both better even then his very good rookie season numbers. Also significant is that his GB% was higher than his rookie season, which could bode well for him in the future if this trend continues. His BABIP was lower than his rookie season but given his other peripherals I don't see this as an indication of luck being a huge factor (somewhat of a factor, perhaps, but it needs to be remembered that he pitches in front of the best defense in the league also.)

Will he continue this in the future? Well, that is not something that can ever be foretold, is it. But indications are good that he might, especially given that his third pitch is still developing as is his control and even possibly his movement.
One thing I can say for certain- I'm awfully glad I didn't listen to those who said I should trade this guy away.
Attached Images
Image Image Image Image 

Last edited by BirdWatcher; 01-27-2019 at 12:06 AM.
BirdWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote